X won't start after today's update

Hello there!

I am new to Manjaro from Debian/Ubuntu and just ran into my 1st problem. Today there was a major update to download and I had to reboot after the installation.

It hangs at my splash screen and I press Alt+F4 to log in and enter startx

I get the following error:

xf86enableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted) (EE) Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found.

When I manually boot from Kernel 5.10.42-1 everything runs fine.

I must not be alone with this problem today and similar topics from last september/august don’t seem to help or apply to my case.

Thank you for help.

EDIT: Here is what I find in the log:

[ 40.249] (II) Loading sub module “ramdac”
[ 40.249] (II) LoadModule: “ramdac”
[ 40.249] (II) Module “ramdac” already built-in
[ 40.260] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
[ 40.260] (EE) NVIDIA: system’s kernel log for additional error messages and
[ 40.260] (EE) NVIDIA: consult the NVIDIA README for details.
[ 40.260] (EE) No devices detected.
[ 40.260] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 40.260] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[ 40.260] (EE)

EDIT2: Here are some specs:

Branch: Stable
Desktop Environment: GNOME 40.1
CPU: Intel i7-6700K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
GPU Driver: 465.31
Kernel: 5.11.4-rt11-1MANJARO x64

Welcome to the forum!

Please check out the thread below and update your post with your system’s information.

Which kernel is giving you that issue?

Looks like a nvidia driver problem to me.

What’s that supposed to mean? Is your default boot (entry) another (now unsupported) kernel (like 5.9 or older)? If so - than that’s the problem: remove that kernel and use the one that is supported and working.

Please post output of:

$ mhwd-kernel -li

The kernel that is giving me issues is the 5.11.4-rt11-1MANJARO x64

My default boot entry is with kernel : 5.11.4-rt11-1MANJARO x64

The ouput of : $ mhwd-kernel -li

Currently running: 5.10.42-1-MANJARO (linux510)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

• linux510
  • linux510-rt
  • linux511-rt

Ok, thanks for reporting back on this.

Is there any specific reason why you want to keep those real-time kernels?

There are no official nvidia driver packages for those kernels. If you want to keep them, I’m afraid you’ll have to compile the drivers on your own.

1 Like

I tried uninstalling them and I got an error telling me 511-rt is a dependency from Virtual Box which I use quite a lot to run Windows for work.

As I said in the OP, I was coming from Ubuntu 20.04 which have been running for a year. I was used to things not breaking anymore and just ran the update on Manjaro without looking in the blind spot. I wanted the performance from Manjaro mostly because recent graphics apps scale better on hi dpi monitors.

So I download the new iso and decided to reinstall. (At least my home folders are on a separete partition. Less trouble haha.)

Also, I will be ditching Virtual Box and play with Boxes instead. I use my laptop more for work anyway. This is for gaming.

End of the story, problem wasn’t fixed. I just walked around it.

Also, Timeshift is set up now. :sweat_smile:

Errata: It looks like there are nvidia-drivers available in the community repositories for linux511-rt and linux510-rt. However, these packages were built around May 20th and June 1st, respectively.

See an example below:

~ >>> sudo pacman -Si linux510-rt                                                                                                                                                                                   
Repository      : community
Name            : linux510-rt
Version         : 5.10.35_rt39-1
Description     : The Linux510-rt kernel and modules
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://www.kernel.org
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : None
Provides        : linux=5.10.35_rt39
Depends On      : coreutils  linux-firmware  kmod  mkinitcpio>=27
Optional Deps   : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your country
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 87.23 MiB
Installed Size  : 149.12 MiB
Packager        : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Tue 01 Jun 2021 02:10:32 PM CDT
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

~ >>> sudo pacman -Si linux510-rt-nvidia                                                                                                                                                                            
Repository      : community
Name            : linux510-rt-nvidia
Version         : 465.31-1
Description     : NVIDIA drivers for linux.
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://www.nvidia.com/
Licenses        : custom
Groups          : linux510-rt-extramodules
Provides        : nvidia=465.31  linux510-rt-nvidia-418xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-430xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-435xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-440xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-450xx
Depends On      : linux510-rt  nvidia-utils=465.31
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : linux510-rt-nvidia-340xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-390xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-418xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-430xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-435xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-440xx  linux510-rt-nvidia-450xx
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 25.45 MiB
Installed Size  : 25.61 MiB
Packager        : Bernhard Landauer <oberon@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Wed 02 Jun 2021 05:57:54 AM CDT
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

These packages are maintained by @oberon. My guess is that these kernels and nvidia modules need to be rebuilt to support most packages in the latest stable release. I might be wrong here though.

The fact that the packages in the community repository are not maintained at the same pace as the official packages is the actual reason why you should consider using official kernels only.

In my opinion, you might not need to install your system from scratch. You just need to be careful migrating virtualbox to your LTS kernel.