Wrong time in Manjaro XFCE, 2 hours forward, had to work with ntpd

Hello, in the bottom taskbar, tray area is clock, i can set timezone there. First i set UTC+x as it shown wrong time and it adjusted the time, thought some website complains i have wrong time and also there is no such option as UTC+1, UTC+2, only plain UTC. When i set CET as it should be it shown the time 2 hours forward.
I also tried “timedatectl” it shows time zone and city correctly but shows time that is two hours forward :-/

$ systemctl status ntpd
ntpd.service - Network Time Service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ntpd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

$ systemctl start ntpd
Job for ntpd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status ntpd.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.

$ journalctl -xe
here

Then it somehow started: $ systemctl start ntpd
After a while i have seen correct time, maybe need to open new terminal window.

So i enabled ntpd at boot (hopefully): systemctl enable ntpd
Maybe it is bad approach and only need to do “timedatectl set-ntp true” i do not know.

I do not know why i need to go through this, i think it should be done and sync. by default so it is user friendly.

Just a question, are you using Dual boot with Windows?

If you are dual-booting Windows / Manjaro - the recommended solution is described in this article.

1 Like

the drive was formatted and created new partition table with /boot and / ext4, both encrypted. So no dual boot…

make sure

timedatectl status

shows the correct timezone. Also your RTC should be configured to use UTC.

I would not recommend to use ntpd. Stop it, disable it, remove it.

You can use systemd-timesyncd. You need to start and enable the service

systemctl enable --now systemd-timesyncd.service

and

timedatectl set-ntp true

But it is very important that the timedatectl settings are correct (timezone, RTC status).

3 Likes

Please, mark that as solution.

This works. My clock was two minutes ahead and this fixed it.

Suggestion: add an option on the forum to (vote as solution) this would help a lot, there must be some plugin/extension for the current software that runs this forum.