Wine not working .exe file loads but does not open

Hi I have installed wine and using it for several months by now but after the recent update the .exe files are not opening say when i double-click and try to open a file a dialog shows whether to execute the program after clicking the execute an icon similar to the .exe file shows up near the cursor indicating it is loading but the file does not open previously when i had this problem i would restart my laptop but now even after several restarts the file won’t work

Wine 6.6-1 seems to be having a lot of issues… I personally do not know if it’s just Wine 6.6-1 being an issue or maybe there is something you can do to fix your issue

Does it have an error output when you run it via the terminal?

If you ever have issues with a program not working correctly, you should always run it via terminal, and provide us with the output, as it provides us more information to help you.

Temporarily, if you want, you can try using a previous version of Wine that you can grab from Arch Linux Archives

Wine 6.5-2

sudo pacman -U wine-6.5-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Wine 6.5-1

sudo pacman -U wine-6.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Once a newer version of Wine gets released, I recommend updating to that to see if it works.

i tried opening the file via terminal with wine 6.6-1 it works but when i try to open it by double clicking it doesn’t work
in short: executing it from terminal works but executing it the GUI way doesn’t seem to work
also the output when i execute it:

MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete
0100:err:module:open_builtin_file failed to load .so lib "/usr/lib32/wine/l3codeca.acm.so"
0100:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0100:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
0100:fixme:ddraw:ddraw_surface1_Flip Ignoring flags 0x1.
0100:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_WaitForVerticalBlank iface 002B8008, flags 0x1, event 00000000 stub!
0104:fixme:d3d_shader:glsl_blitter_upload_palette P8 texture loaded without a palette.
MESA-INTEL: warning: Haswell Vulkan support is incomplete```

That’s really strange! I would have thought that you’d have the same results either way.

Unfortunately I don’t know how to troubleshoot this; hopefully someone else can chime in :slight_smile:

Try this

cp -a ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/command/start.exe ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/

It is supposed to be fixed in 6.6, though.
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50867

2 Likes

thanks bro it works

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.