Wine not not opening and giving errors

Hi, I installed Manjaro KDE and whenever I try to run app/game in Wine it appears as a process but nothing else happens. I tried running the command and it gave the following output:

0108:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004000
0128:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0069C000, 1): stub
0128:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (00030062, 0069C000): stub
0128:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
winegstreamer error: decodebin0: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
winegstreamer error: decodebin0: ../gstreamer/subprojects/gst-plugins-base/gst/playback/gstdecodebin2.c(4701): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstBin:bin0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0:
no suitable plugins found:
Missing decoder: Advanced Streaming Format (ASF) (video/x-ms-asf)

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.724: gst_element_set_state: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.725: gst_object_unref: assertion 'object != NULL' failed

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.725: gst_object_unref: assertion 'object != NULL' failed

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.725: gst_element_set_bus: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

winegstreamer error: decodebin1: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
winegstreamer error: decodebin1: ../gstreamer/subprojects/gst-plugins-base/gst/playback/gstdecodebin2.c(4701): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstBin:bin1/GstDecodeBin:decodebin1:
no suitable plugins found:
Missing decoder: Advanced Streaming Format (ASF) (video/x-ms-asf)

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.892: gst_element_set_state: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.892: gst_object_unref: assertion 'object != NULL' failed

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.892: gst_object_unref: assertion 'object != NULL' failed

(wine:2978): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 13:12:45.892: gst_element_set_bus: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

0128:err:sync:RtlLeaveCriticalSection section 00680078 is not acquired

(I’m new to Manjaro so please don’t use any “scary words” so I can understand. :grinning:) Thanks!

From what I read when I googled the error
(with these terms:
gstreamer video/x-ms-asf)

it could be that the package
gst-plugins-ugly
is missing

Try installing it - it should be in the normal repos.

It’s just a guess based upon the info I can see here.

1 Like

Ok, It did something but now I just get this output:
026c:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004000

If you can help me fix it I would be really happy!

I truly believe that you would be. :wink:

But I can’t help you with that - sorry.

1 Like

ok, thank you anyway!

What are you trying to run?

1 Like

An old game “Worms 2”

To see if wine is working, please open a terminal and type winecfg. Does a settings gui appear?

1 Like

How much does it take for it to open usually? It didn’t open.

How did you install wine? What wine package?

1 Like

I used add/remove program to install it from the gui

Lets try a few things. Open the terminal again and type rm -r ~/.wine then try winecfg again.

winecfg worked!

but now, when I try to run it, it says this:

wine: failed to open "C:\\users\\Public\\Desktop\\Worms 2.lnk": c0000135

Something must have went wrong when you tried setting up a program and it messed the .wine config folder somehow. Try installing the Worms 2 game again. Winehq has some instructions depending on if you have a cdrom version or the gog (not known to run). If you have the GOG version you might want to install lutris, a wine front end, it has a way to install the GOG version.

1 Like

I have a gog version, Lutris worked until some point, It is “frozen” but it is running, the “gear” spinning animation is playing but I cant click any buttons or really do anything.

basically this is the window:

Installing worms2
              Installing game data
            (gear spinning animation)

(something ending with "process exited:", I cant scroll to read it)
Initial process has exited(return code: 256)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 256

do I just force quit it or is there a solution?

(If you don’t reply today, I will just “sleep” the system)

Hi, try to install it again with Lutris. Therefor, click left top side on that plus sign, then “search on Lutris Webpage for a script”. It should find Worms2.
If it still doesnt work well afterwards, after it did install, you can rightclick on the game, configure, then tab options, and deactivate either DXVK or VKD3D, or toggle between them.
That is the only issue what i have with Lutris most time. But with Wine i got a lot more trouble all time.
Even i did run most things before with PlayOnLinux, not Wine alone. There are simple to much possibilities, to make something wrong or not right.
You also can start before a terminal, then type there “Lutris”, and you have your log again, or twice.

Oh, my. After a day trying to run this s**t (sorry for bad language I am so exited) It finally worked. Thank you and all of the people that helped me. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.