Wine: issue with ntlm_auth

I get the following error message in PROTON_LOG with wine version 6.4-GE-1 while starting a game in steam-manjaro:

86.080:00f8:0100:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

This message confuses me because samba is installed and the file /usr/bin/ntlm_auth (version 4.14.0) is available as well.
Is there anything still missing?

Wine or Proton doesn’t need Samba at all. You may have this error because you have Samba installed though.

Maybe this WIP version of Proton GE has issue, test other GE Proton version see if issue persists accross multiple other version. See also with official Proton.

Also, do you actually have an issue or are you worried for a random error message in Proton logs?

@omano
Thanks for your reply.
I’ve tested previous versions of Proton as well and noticed the same issue.
The reason why I’m concerned about this error is that an authentication takes place in the game with the Steam account which fails.

There must be something wrong with the samba package in Manjaro because the issue does not occur in other distros like Ubuntu.

I don’t know as said samba has nothing to do with Wine/Proton.

Let think the other way.

What game do you have connection issue with?

The game is “Outriders Demo”.

At first glance, it really seems that Samba has nothing to do with wine/Proton but it appears that some functions from the Samba package are being used to establish secure outbound connections.
Because I noticed the following error message which could be related.

750.253:00f8:0100:fixme:winsock:server_ioctl_sock Unsupported ioctl 4004747b (device=4004 access=1 func=d1e method=3)
750.253:00f8:0100:fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl unsupported WS_IOCTL cmd (SIO_IDEAL_SEND_BACKLOG_QUERY)

This Outriders? https://www.protondb.com/app/680420

Yes, unlike the comments with the black screen which I also had with the previous proton version, the games starts now but the authentication fails after the welcome screen.

According to 100% of the reports on ProtonDB, this game is in the BORKED state meaning it doesn’t work with Proton/Wine.

I marked this as the solution.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.