Windows sometimes open on the wrong monitor

So, I have a dual-monitor setup. When buying the secondary monitor I had to cheap out, so I am picky about what goes where. Unfortunately, I sometimes have it happen that every new window pops up at that secondary monitor, which is not what I want.

I have made sure that my primary monitor is indeed marked as primary monitor in the “Display and Monitor” settings and I have also made sure to disable “Allow apps to remember the positions of their own windows, if they support it” in the Advanced tab of the Window Behaviour settings. I have absolutely no idea what is causing this, or how to prevent this from happening. Please advise.

Are the apps opening per monitor or opening by following the mouse cursor? In Cinnamon, you can set the windows to open based on which monitor the mouse is in. Not sure if KDE has the same feature, but helps to eliminate one or the other.

what if you enable “Allow apps to remember the positions of their own windows". I got two virtual desktop. So this happen a lot. The app will remember last time which desktop.

@DeLinuxCo

Are the apps opening per monitor or opening by following the mouse cursor?

They are opening per monitor. Most of the time they do indeed open on the primary monitor, but sometimes they’re not opening there. I also discovered that it apparently does little to absolutely nothing that I have disabled “Allow apps to remember positions”, which I find … weird. Testing this on the VLC Media Player, for example, the window still did always remember its last position and size.

Regarding the window placement, KDE Plasma does have a similar setting - namely “Window placement: under mouse” - , however I find that option to be unsatisfactory and also working only insufficiently. Again using VLC Media Player as an example, I could open one file in it while it was closed completely and the window would still open maximised at the monitor where my cursor was not.
_

@kearney

what if you enable “Allow apps to remember the positions of their own windows"

I am not sure what I am supposed to accomplish with that, as this is exactly the opposite of what I want. I want all windows to always open at the primary monitor by default.

All right, far beyond my ability. :sweat_smile: