Windows NVMe with Intel Optane are not detected

Hello everyone,

yesterday I installed Manjaro on my computer, which I mainly used for gaming. I have two M.2 NVMe SSDs and one SATA SSD as storage. Windows is installed on one of the M.2 NVMe, whereas Manjaro is installed on the SATA SSD.

According to the BIOS, both M.2 NVMe are configured as “RAID/Intel Optane” and because I didn’t want to disturb my gaming experience, everything should stay as it is.

During the live environment, it was possible to list the NVMe and even detect the Windows Bootloader, but after the installation, lsblk does not return any of the NVMe.

Right now, I need to change boot order to boot into windows or Manjaro in the BIOS. While this works, I would much prefer to have a grub menu to choose from.

The only solution I found so far, was adding vmd to MODULES in mkinitcpio.conf. Which didn’t solve the problem.

lsblk                                                                                                                                   ✔ 
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 931,5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   300M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0 896,8G  0 part /var/log
│                                /var/cache
│                                /home
│                                /
└─sda3   8:3    0  34,4G  0 part [SWAP]
sdb      8:16   1     0B  0 disk 
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  

I’m using the MAG Z390M MORTAR Motherboard.

Thank you very much in advance!

I am pretty sure manjaro (linux in general maybe?) Does not support optane as you saw.

1 Like

That’s wise, don’t change that or your Win might become unbootable.

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

Manjaro does not support Optane. Your drives need to be set to AHCI.

All UEFI implementations support a boot menu — whether on pressing a specific function key or automatically at every boot.

Please search - using the :mag: in upper right corner.

Intel Optane cannot be used on any Linux - according to Intel it is unsupported - the forum has topics from as far back as mid 2020.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.