Windows is loading defaultly without letting me choose between Windows and Manjaro

Hi, I am Joe and I am new to Linux. I installed Manjaro (Gnome) along with Windows 11. Both boot loaders are in the same EFI partition. But when I start the system, Windows is loaded without asking which OS to load. The boot does shows option to choose between Windows and Manjaro… Now to load Manjaro I have to tap on ESC key, get into start up menu, then I have to choose boot device from there I have to select Manjaro. I need the start up to let me choose the OS without getting into start up menu. Please help me in this matter.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

You have to set the default boot device from the BIOS of your laptop/desktop.
Get into BIOS settings (by pressing the specific hotkey for BIOS, which is specific to the device manufacturer), go to the OS Boot manager preferences and set Windows lower to Manjaro Entry.

Enter your BIOS settings, and place Manjaro above Windows in the boot order.

If you want Manjaro’s default boot loader GRUB to display Windows as an option, you will need to edit /etc/default/grub as root and uncomment (delete the # at the beginning of the line):
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

2 Likes

Thank you. What I meant is when the system starts I want it to let me choose the os without entering into the bios set up and all.

And that’s what the answers are referring to. Your BIOS/UEFI default boot option is Windows. You have to change the DEFAULT value to Manjaro (IN THE BIOS/UEFI). You should have a boot options -part in your UEFI settings. You have to find it and modify it there.

If you are unable to do that for whatever reason it’s also possible to do it from the command line with the efibootmgr command. Just ask here.

Yes, @anon59284200 solution is correct. Perhaps to clear the misunderstanding, I’ll rephrase it as place Manjaro GRUB bootloader above Windows bootloader in the boot order. The GRUB bootloader lets you choose which OS to boot. But Windows bootloader only boots Windows OS.

Ok thanks for the solution. Let me try it that way.

Thank you. Let me try it.

I edited the grub file and updated it and there was not error at the time of execution but still it won’t give me option to choose the os. Since I changed the boot order now I am booting directly to Manjaro. But that is not I want, I want it to give me a choice.

edited the grub file and updated it and there was not error at the time of execution but still it won’t give me option to choose the os. Since I changed the boot order now I am booting directly to Manjaro. But that is not I want, I want it to give me a choice.

Comment the line in /etc/default/grub
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT
then update-grub as root

After you edited grub file did you execute

sudo update-grub 

in the terminal?

yes, I did it.

let me try that.

Give the output of sudo update-grub to verify you properly enable OS Prober.

If GRUB doesn’t show a menu with Windows it is probably because Windows and Manjaro are not installed the same way (BIOS or UEFI). They need both to be installed the same way.

It is installed in the same partition and in same way