Win11 will automatically remove Manjaro's boot after startup

My computer used to use the dual system of Win10 and Manjaro, but after updating Win11 and restarting Windows, Manjaro in UEFI will disappear

Add-1: I have reinstalled Manjaro and Win11. As long as I do not enter Win11, my Manjaro will be OK. I plan to reinstall Win10 to try

Add-2: I switched back to win10. After win10 is started, the uefi of Manjaro will not be erased

Hi @zhang_guo, and welcome!

It it known that windows tend to do this. I’m quite certain you’d have to chroot into your Manjaro installation from a Live environment, and fix GRUB.

How to chroot

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot encironment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart.

Reinstalling grub from chroot environment.

Once in the live environment, you have to reinstall GRUB. To do so, run the following:

update-grub

When successfully completed, exit the chroot environment:

exit

Followed by rebooting and seeing if it worked.

If it did, feel free to heap on the praise. If, however, it didn’t, well, then is wasn’t me and I’m innocent!

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Windows 11 has a requirement of Secure Boot to be on or enabled.

Check in the system firmware if that is the case - then disable Secure Boot and proceed with above instructions.

You may need to do this before you run update-grub

grub-install --recheck --force --target=x86_64-efi --boot-directory=/boot --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro

Read more at the wiki

2 Likes

Secure Boot has been closed