Will using Flatpaks provide my system with better stability?

It’s pretty much all in the title.

A year ago, I used Manjaro on my production machine for web development. I liked it, but it did tend to break sometimes after updates. Would I have more stability if all (or as much as possible) of my apps came from Flathub, rather than from the official Manjaro repository and AUR?

Not really, as my experience tells. It just switches the responsibility to the flatpak maintainer instead of whoever in Manjaro team that’s supposed to carry the burden. If the flatpak maintainer does silly things like forgetting to test his package then a break is still possible to happen.

1 Like

It just switches the responsibility to the flatpak maintainer instead of whoever in Manjaro team that’s supposed to carry the burden. If the flatpak maintainer does silly things like forgetting to test his package then a break is still possible to happen.

Sure, that point stands firm. However, in my experience, most of the time an app would break was due to a system update or a DE update, where a number of system libraries were updated, but there was no update regarding the app which depends on those same libraries, and thus it breaks. This is why it makes sense to me to use Flatpaks as much as possible.

You can try for a few months and see if the good things are on your side. It would be very application specific.

You can try for a few months and see if the good things are on your side. It would be very application specific.

I guess I’ll have to. Just wanted to hear other people’s opinion on this, more like in some form of a prognosis. :slight_smile:

I tried Spotify a while back, it crashed. Logs don’t say something useful I can analyze. Then going to AUR route, it’s been working fine until now. Hence my theory that it doesn’t really matter which app source you use, the packager is always the one responsible for its working state.

The main point of Flatpak is to bundle an application with its own libraries, thus not relying on those installed on the system. This supposedly means a better stability for that application when its release cycle doesn’t keep up its dependencies’.

The two major downsides are:

• heavier packages, since each package has its own copy of a library
  • libraries often updated late, thus missing on newer features and security fixes

Personally, i prefer using the repositories’ packages, and relying on Flatpaks/Snaps solely for applications with a very slow release cycle.

2 Likes

Are you sure this wasnt a symptom of other activities, such as using sudo pip ?
Because besides things like that … there arent actually normally show-stopping breakages.
The worst I might see is a maintainer forgetting a single lib, so without manual intervention, then some application is bugged or wont start until they ‘fix it’ by pushing said lib some time shortly after.
(which again, should be easily worked around anyways).