Will the off topic return

Thank you for your response. I was just voicing a concern. The last thing I want to see is this distro fade away. We shall see what the future holds.

3 Likes

We won’t be here to find out, will we?

2 Likes

This experiment has already been done in the form of StackOverflow. I’ve never before experienced such a toxic community.

3 Likes

Don’t forget elitist! Interesting certainly is the word I would have used. Blindly obvious what the results would be, isn’t the first time this type of ‘experiment’ has been tried, sadly won’t be the last. History repeats, et. al.

1 Like

Well, on the old forum I was ignoring the off-topic section most of the time because it is not what I use the forum for. I use it to keep up to date with the announcements and to help others. That is not done in off-topic.

Why waste hardware ressources (CPU, RAM, disk space) for stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the technical product that Manjaro is? I totally understand the decision to not host off-topic anymore, especially with the many hardware-limit - issues that the old forum had during its time. There are other communication channels for that.

2 Likes

Ehm…large parts of the Arch bunch?

2 Likes

DITTO the section needs to be added to this forum.

5 Likes

What is it again that we’re talking about? I’ve forgotten now!

That’s a flat out lie.

3 Likes

Maybe putting a No Fun Allowed disclaimer at the page header.

6 Likes

Underlining “NEEDS”…

3 Likes

Better behave @freed00m … the Frustrated Uncivilised Neanderthal (FUN) Police will be out to get you!

And in the words of Adam Savage… “I reject your reality, and substitute my own!” … Off Topic is where all the fun is… and anyone who says different… doesn’t have to be there. End of issue. The rate things are going, I’m thinking I should spin up a Discourse instance with only one topic “Manjaro: Offtopic” … seems like it should be pretty popular! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Is’nt fun why we use Manjaro in the first place :wink: ?

2 Likes

Maybe we need to take a look at how Garuda is coming we seem to be getting a dictatorship here. Have to wonder if the old forum going down was an actual accident.

5 Likes

Surely not… we’ll never find any compromising email about ‘operation cleansweep’. :laughing: Rather interesting actually, just reading that it may have been the Discourse forum’s own backup mechanism that failed spectacularly, and that another project suffered a similar fate, but was able to recover from it… be interesting to see if the Manjaro folks reach out to them and find out what how they did it.

1 Like

Whatever gets decided, just a reminder from my side that the Manjaro Community and Forum is valued as one of the best communities. Hope so that stays.

4 Likes

My thought exactly. And this thread shows two things:

• there is a community
  • there is need to keep the community great

(edit - my quote got removed by the system…)

5 Likes

To keep beating a dead horse: I’m in no way an expert on using manjaro, the only reason for me to open up this forum, at all, was the humor thread. This is because I have my system the way I like for day to day and the only issues I run into is when I try something new, which isn’t often nowadays. But when I looked in I always checked the newbies and if I saw a problem I could help with I tried to, even putting some work and time into the effort. This was more than a place for purely technical issues, it was nice to look in. That was also why I always recomend Manjaro.
Create a poll, put it to a vote or something, don’t be a dictatorhip.
P.S
My first experience with off-topic threads was back in the 90’s on usenet when the simpsons group was forked to simpsons-l for purely tv-show discussion and simpsons-b for off-topic, great times (there was even a simpsons-b mailing list untill 2007)

10 Likes

Not to mention, the recent ‘proud rage quit’ had absolutely nothing to do with the off topic or newbie sections. It had to do on some level with how Manjaro the company and the Manjaro distro community align and work together.

If the reasoning is more broad, as in, ‘Having a community = too problematic’, then that might spell serious trouble for Manjaro as a project. Community is pretty much inherent in the Linux world and also tends to be in everything from the Kernel outwards. It’s one of the best things about free software/open source software. After all how can a project respect user freedoms without open discourse (get it?) between the community and project team?

As for directing users to Reddit, Discord, etc. for community efforts, some might object to non-free platforms or the terms applied by these third parties. Even you don’t have a problem with these platforms, it also effectively removes all moderation from these methods of communication, so it could lead to these channels being overtaken by the vocal ‘anti-Manjaro’ brigade. The Reddit is quite harsh on Manjaro already, just as an example.

From my recollection, off-topic was super tame compared to 90% of the internet. Manjaro has a good community, I don’t think it should be in any way curtailed just because it can also be vocal and passionate about the project.

10 Likes

This thread does show the passion, indeed…

6 Likes