[Category request] General discussion

But we thought, as a team that you love chit-chat … so, here i am, chit-chatting with you. Now, also this is something we do wrong? I’m sorry, but the other members are busy preparing new stuff and fixing things, Today i’m your hostess. Nobody cares for drinks anymore?

You see, now you want me to do your lego game and give you back a full toy to trow at me. Excelent!

Is this a language barrier issue? I really do not know what you are trying to get at with this conversation thread. The only thing I have asked of you is that you stop being so hostile to the community.

1 Like

People need step back . Insulting each other is no good forum been open 5 day . Let dust settle and clear heads will win .

I say to both side

2 Likes

Nah, chit chatting is fine and dandy!

It’s just strange to see Manjaro community members (or, let’s use a more professional term “consumers/users”) compared to that old slighly bendy carrot I have in the bottom of my fridge.

If Manjaro wishes to become more business like and less community focused, that’s great - but maybe it needs to employ community managers/PR people then. This just comes across as a bit unprofessional. At this stage, I would even rather pay for Manjaro to have the redress and entitlements as consumer, rather than have this community dichotomy going on, in which the bad cop role is played by people who are ‘community team members’ rather than employees of Manjaro the company.

I don’t doubt that you’re a great mediator for technical issues, but maybe it is worth considering tagging somebody a bit more empathetic in for this kind of discussion. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

my conclusion from this topic:
Some people here seem to have used the old forum mainly as off-topic playground and think that they are “the community” while in reality, they are just a couple of spoiled brats thinking they can decide how other people have to spent their ressources.

It’s completely the Manjaro team’s decision on how to spent their ressources, both monetary and time.

I can only repeat myself from the other topic, and the middle-fingers and poop icons I got there just confirm that I am right:

3 Likes

No one is disputing its the Manjaro teams decision and I haven’t really seen anyone acting like spoilt brats. The main complaint from everyone seems to be the hostility from the manjao team when users/members have given constructive feedback on the new forum.

2 Likes

and yet most of the people here in this topic want to change the teams decision. --> Spoiled brats.

1 Like

I haven’t asked asked them to change anything. I gave my feedback that I thought restoring certain forums was a good Idea and was met with “if you don’t like it try another distro” and most people have been met with the same hostility from the team. I’d hardly call that demanding anything for behaving like a spoilt brat. Behaving like a spoilt brat would be demanding things change or I’m leaving which pretty much isn’t the case it’s the opposite

3 Likes

Well, in the end a decision shall be made.

And it never happened to me that in any project I have seen through the years trying to fit to everyone’s wishes has worked out. You end with a mess.

Which isn’t to say you shall be an ace about it, but I don’t feel it’s the case.

You shall decide what is the true essential, and be willing to leave out the rest.

1 Like

I have never been hostile in this community. But if brought it up or projecting it, let me ask you, how can i be hostile when i did all this in the old forum:

Is all i have left from old forum and not to boost my ego, but to clarify:
Haw can i be hostile and welcoming in the same time ? Can we be sure you are not projecting something here? I’m appealing to a clear objective consideration, nor whatever subjective opinion. Do you know me, or do you think you know me? Doing this sort of intellectual autopsy one me here, is not something i treat slightly, but that doesn’t mean i’m hostile.

So, once again, how was calling them

better? Are they opened tumors? Is Manjaro a bleeding animal or something?

Does require empathy to do this kind of work or not?

If not, then probably you are right. If does, then how much more do i miss of having to not be taken as hostile by people in this conversation?

And it never happened to me, ever, that by giving tons of explanation anyone changed their mind.

2 Likes

You are correct amigo, but, i prefer things on the table from the start, so we do not make mistakes in the open anymore. :wink:

1 Like

I’m sorry, but the headline is “Wanting a catch-all.” With several speakers it’s hard to know who’s asking what…
personally I don’t even remember the topics in the free category … music, humor? in any case nothing really important and especially nothing that should make us leave this forum if we think a little.

If one or 2 topics were important then yes, the community should ask for those topics but certainly not a FB number 2.

4 Likes

The choice of metaphor another Manjaro user utilises isn’t the point here, is it? How @jabber or pretty much any other regular joe-schmoe forum member communicates has little to do with my end-user experience. When there’s a ‘Team Badge’ involved it’s a bit different. If I walk into a shop operated by my internet provider, it’s the behaviour of the people with the name tags that matters, not some random passer-by.

Though I’m not sure what the connection between your main profession and your role as a Manjaro Team member are, I’ll bite: most successful caricaturists possess biting wit and the ability to zero in on their subject’s flaws (physical or otherwise) so that they can emphasise these for comedic effect, almost the opposite of empathy in a way.

I would absolutely put my money where my mouth and pay for Manjaro, once off or on a running basis (as I used to in donating) - especially since I now have to use it for work. Paying for Manjaro would mean the people dealing with feedback and support issues are compensated financially and we don’t have a situation where they feel under appreciated. Users can then also express their honest concerns and issues with the product without feeling guilty for how much time somebody voluntarily gives to the community.

2 Likes

It seems like people here forget that all of Manjaro’s decisions are made by a team. None of the people on the team are paid (ok apart from the two you already know), so the majority of the team “works” in Manjaro for passion, fun and because they like what Manjaro is. Many in the team have just joined and maybe I can consider myself one of the veterans of the team (maybe I have been a part of it since 2012? I don’t remember well) so I can speak with enough reasons of fact. None of us have a muzzle in our mouth, any of us can express their opinion or opposition. In the past there may have been unpleasant decisions or forcing, but there has always been discussion about what was best for Manjaro OS (yes the operating system). Those who disagree can always leave Manjaro but I’ll tell you one thing: the latest vicissitudes within the team have strengthened our team bond and the forum you see is proof of this. Please use Manjaro for what it is: an OS and let the social networks do their job …

Long life and prosperity

9 Likes

I think if other members of the team had replied with comments as polite and well constructed as yours then the thread wouldn’t have descended into what it became

1 Like

No one in the team is native English speakers but English should be used as a universal language when you want to talk to many people. It is a standard. The fact that I was able to express opinions politely is perhaps just luck. Perhaps concepts translated into English but not thought of in the English language can be misunderstood. In Italy we have ways of saying that maybe translated into English they sound bad and so for other languages. Let’s not dwell too much on the words themselves but on what the concept should represent.

5 Likes

You pay them based on a contract and that is their job.
Do you go and acuse a community volunteer policeman for being hostile wen comes to mediate reasonable a public meeting? Why, because is wearing a badge? I can ask to have mine removed if intimidates you.

And how would be exactly your business? Did you ask the people from your internet provider about their relationship there too? I’m sure they gave you the keys to their house to go checking. :wink:

Ah, so you are a caricature expert. Then let me clarify it. Emphasis is not demonizing, demonizing would be lack of empathy. I was demonized here, not once, not twice, but countless times already. I’m sure you didn’t noticed that.

Appreciated any support for the community, but if you go back and read my statement in the old forum, i don’t and i will not get donation money. My involvement in the forum and parts of the project was because i can’t donate money.
If i was to donate my kidney to someone, i would not go chasing that person around, to see what they drink, what they eat as if now i own them. Hope that will sink in.

All the official announcements regarding the decisions about new forum, and all the comments that came from the @Manjaro-Team and @moderators are polite, is in our Forum Rules. so why would we break them?
Do we reply strong? Yes, but still polite.
Continuing to project that was not polite, and insisting on it, will in the end lead to something that nobody here wants, so, step back and read again, and please read in the context. Applying your internal voice to the text written by others will mislead you badly. Consider that too! :wink:

If and only if, patience would have been a general atribute of everyone, the risen questions would have been answered better.
We had the patience to try to recover old forum. We had the patience to build a new one when the previous task failed. We had the patience to leave all our other projects and only deal with this, so the community gets the status of ALIVE back. We had the patience to answer in general or in particular to all, only to get that we are not welcoming enough, but we are hostile.

What a wonderful outcome!

But you know what? We still have the patience and courtesy to deal with them! FIRMLY :wink:

Since both sides in this are seemingly not open to compromise anymore, I view this as a senseless waste of time at this point and the thread could be closed as it serves no longer any purpose. It would be hard to even call it a discussion at this point, disappointment or exchange of word-shivs would likely be more appropriate.

4 Likes