Will a PC with Intel UHD 630 and no dedicated GFX card default to Wayland or X11?

Hi,
A few weeks ago, I installed Manjaro GNOME Minimal Edition on a Dell Inspiron 5680 with an NVIDIA 1070 GPU. After weeks of testing, I am considering installing Manjaro on my workstation. It is a Dell Precision 3440 which has an Intel processor and integrated UHD 630 graphics currently running Ubuntu.

Since the Intel UHD 630 is quite common, I was wondering if someone could confirm whether Wayland or X11 will be the default display server upon installing Manjaro?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

P.S. The older PC is a test machine where I frequently install various Linux distributions. The one I actually work on would take hours to setting up which is why I am asking for advise.

Gnome uses Wayland by default nowadays.

1 Like

Hello Wollie and thank you for your fast response.

The older PC on which I installed Manjaro Gnome on has X11 as the only option and I am OK with it as Blender and AI image generation work flawlessly. I’d prefer Wayland but since everything works, I can live with X11.
The PC I want to convert next is used for development and tech support so I’d prefer Wayland as I often need to recreate certain scenarios.

Hopefully someone who has an Intel chip with a 630 UHD will see this and confirm. :slight_smile:

This happens if you have hybrid graphics.

I can confirm that UHD 630 works perfectly well on my system with Manjaro. But I am not using Gnome. I use Sway, which is Wayland-only.

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-9.5 process: Intel 14nm built: 2016-20
    ports: active: DP-1 empty: DP-2, DP-3, HDMI-A-1, HDMI-A-2, HDMI-A-3
    bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:3e92 class-ID: 0300
  Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.11 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.4
    compositor: Sway v: 1.9 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: vesa
    alternate: fbdev dri: iris gpu: i915 display-ID: 1
  Monitor-1: DP-1 model: Asus BE24A serial: <filter> built: 2016
    res: 1920x1200 hz: 60 dpi: 94 gamma: 1.2 scale: 1
    size: 518x324mm (20.39x12.76") diag: 611mm (24.1") ratio: 16:10 modes:
    max: 1920x1200 min: 640x480
  API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: intel iris platforms: device: 0 drv: iris
    device: 1 drv: swrast surfaceless: drv: iris wayland: drv: iris x11:
    drv: iris inactive: gbm
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 24.0.4-manjaro1.2
    glx-v: 1.4 direct-render: yes renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
    device-ID: 8086:3e92 memory: 29.98 GiB unified: yes
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.279 layers: 9 device: 0 type: integrated-gpu name: Intel
    UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) driver: mesa intel v: 24.0.4-manjaro1.2
    device-ID: 8086:3e92 surfaces: xcb,xlib,wayland
1 Like

Thank you megavolt (cool nick),
It should be OK but if a few people confirm that they can select Wayland or X11 uplong logging in, I will gladly switch because sometimes I need to use Appimages and Ubuntu (which I use now) will not boot if I install libfuse2.
Manjaro has no issues and I love how easy it is to keep the system up-to-date with pamac.

1 Like

Well… you can test it yourself on a live session. Just boot it from usb flash drive, logout and then try to select on the bottom right (Password/Username: manjaro). Then you proved it yourself and don’t rely on people on the forum.

However, usually you can switch on INTEL and AMD GPU’s without problems. Only if the nvidia driver is detected, it will be forced to X11 because of reasons.

Really strange… I would suspect a user error here, but hey this Manjaro here. fuse2 and fuse3 can work side-by-side here.

Not sure why installing fuse2 nukes Ubuntu but I was happy to see that Manjaro has no issues.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1479106/after-installation-of-fuse2-ubuntu-boot-up-stuck

The Manjaro KDE Plasma edition now defaults to Wayland, if KDE is an option for you. The only caveat at present is that the forthcoming transition to Plasma 6 may have a few usability annoyances in the meantime until it reaches Stable.

If you’re prepared to navigate a few bumps, or wait a few weeks, you may find KDE with Plasma 6 ideal for your needs; especially on what seems to be such a performant system.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi soundofthunder,
unfortunately, KDE is not an option but thank you for suggesting an alternative.

1 Like

Bitter Sweet Success

I can confirm that Manjaro Gnome Minimal Edition will default to Wayland (Intel CPU and UHD630 built-in graphics).

Unfortunately, upon booting the new install, I had a hiss noise coming from the monitor.
This issue happens on both, Fedora and Manjaro.

In the past, I installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and later Ubuntu. Those two distribution are not affected (no hiss).

The other day I installed Manjaro on an older Dell test machine and after weeks of testing, decided to convert my workstation to Manjaro as well.

Right now, the only way to make the hiss (white noise) go away is to switch the monitor refresh from 59.97 to the next lower one, click OK and then Revert Settings. That will instantly silence the hiss and until I reboot, all is well.

Maybe I am lucky and someone has encountered this and has advise on what I could try. Given that two distributions (and likely more) are not affected, I am hopeful that there is a setting that will fix this because I prefer Manjaro to Ubuntu.