WiFi printing support on ARM?

Absolute newb here … but I have Manjaro/Gnome running on a Raspberry Pi 400. Everything seems to work very well except that the printing service seems to be disabled. I have searched the web and tried to install “manjaro-printer” from the terminal (as described in the Manjaro Wiki) but my system cannot find it. From what I have read, my undestanding is that the print service isn’t implemented on ARM. Is that correct or am I doing something wrong?
TIA. David.

CUPS is available on ARM. If not installed then run:
pamac install cups

After installation you’ll need to give the pi user administrative rights on CUPS. To do this, go back to your console and type

sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin pi

Open up your browser and navigate to https://localhost:631 . You’ll probably receive a security warning from your browser. Hit the Advanced button and then Proceed to localhost (unsafe). Depending on what printer you have, you can add it from there. Otherwise please share the model and will point out what drivers to install (if available).

Thank you for that. I am now one step further forward :slight_smile: Cups installed correctly judging by the terminal responses ending “Transaction successfully finished”. However,
“david@david-pi    sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin david” (my user is “david” not the normal “pi”.) produced the error:
“usermod: group ‘lpadmin’ does not exist”.

Do I need to start cups running before executing the “usermod” command?

Have you enabled the service?

sudo systemctl enable --now cups.service
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.socket
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.path

This should (in my case at least on a pinebook pro) cause the gnome printer settings to be able to add printers.

edit: I’m not sure about this, but I have the package system-config-printer installed, that provides a gtk cups printer configuration& status applet. This might be necessary for the settings panel to interact with cups.

OK thank you for that, now we’re cooking! (I said I was a Linux newb.) I have got into the web interface as suggested by bogdancovaciu and can see the network printer - EPSON_WF-2630_Series. BUT it seems to think that it is a dot matrix and is asking whether it is 9 pin or 24 pin (Its an inkjet) OR its asking for a PPD file (whatever that is).

So near, but not quite there yet!

It’s a new day and, thanks to the helpful advice, I am now several steps further forward but not there yet. In the Settings app, Printers, I can now unlock the page and have an “Add a Printer” button. Pressing this button, Manjaro finds My printer an Epson “WF-2630” and also a “CUPS-BRF-Printer”. Clicking on either printer and “Add” produces a new dialogue “Failed to add new printer” with only the option to “Close” the dialogue. Any more suggestions?

Thnx, David

Another step forward … rereading the Wiki, I thried adding:
“sudo systemctl enable --now avahi-daemon.service”
and now have the printer listed as “Ready” in Settings/Printers
However, when I try to print from an application, the printer dialogue seems to get stuck on “Getting printer information …” and does not print.

Any ideas where to now?

Later … After lots more reading, it looks as though the problem comes down to the lack of printer drivers that are built for Arch on ARM. Everything else works - CUPS, and network identification, but all that falls at the last fence; actual printing. It looks as though I shall have to continue living with my overweight uncle, Ubuntu. Pitty, I rather fancied cousin Manjaro. Thanks everyone for all the help.

1 Like

I’m under the impression that there doesn’t seem to be much extra work to do after installing CUPS, except for one additional firmware installation on the HP LaserJet Pro M1136.