Wifi Hard Block on HP Compaq CQ60

Hello!
I am having problems with the built-in WLAN card on my notebook. The notebook has a physical button for switching the network on and off, but this does not respond. I found exactly this problem online and carried out the first step ([SOLVED] rfkill unblock all, not working). Sometimes, when I start up the notebook now, the WLAN card is enabled. However, after a few minutes the hard block appears again:

$ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
$ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: yes

Therefore, the current solution is obviously not yet sufficient. I had already solved this problem at some point, but forgot to note the commands used. With this in mind, I would like to avoid taping any pins. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed?

Hi @Viktor_Berggren,

This might be of help:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=182995

You can useto following to get the module name:

inxi -N

The module name is after the driver: heading, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Thank you! I just discovered, that removing the blacklist, suggested in the first link actually solves the problem. It is very strange that it didn’t work before the blacklist was set, but after it was removed.

This was the command for setting the blacklist:echo "blacklist hp-wmi" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

1 Like

Just be sure to check it persists after a reboot.

It does. Very strange, but I am happy it worked out that easily.

1 Like

Just make a note of it this time…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.