WiFi cannot be enabled after upgrading BIOS

Looks good, according to what I can see. Please provide the output of:

ip link show

Here is the output:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 6c:02:e0:44:0f:a4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlo1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether aa:dd:6a:0c:39:ed brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr 7c:70:db:0f:8a:61
    altname wlp0s20f3

Welp, I found this, which states:

I found this series of bug reports related to the same kind of problem: bug.launchpad, bugzilla.kernel.org 1, bugzilla.kernel.org 2, bugzilla.kernel.org 3.

Quoting Emmanuel Grumbach (egrumbach) in the first link above:

This is an electrical problem. I can’t do anything about it

so it seems to be a problem arising from bugs/faults in the physical card.

So I don’t think we can do much about it. Or at least, I can’t.

:sob:

Thanks anyway. It is quite weird, because everything goes file before I updated the BIOS. I think it might have something to do with the firmware.

I think so too. Have a look here:

Edit:

So try Kernel 6.1 then.

1 Like

Wifi card seems not to be initialized by the UEFI and therefore Linux has no access. Probably fastboot is enabled which skips some devices to speed up?

Some options to consider …

• Does the BIOS have a utility to test hardware?

• Reverting BIOS to previous version

• Temporarily install windows 10 or 11, to rule out hardware failure (and may do the init on the card). I’d do it on a removable HDD or SSD and be prepared to have to rewrite the linux EFI record afterwards.

Thanks for the hint. It turns out that Wi-Fi works under kernel 6.1.

But I encounter another important issue while using linux61 kernel: NVIDIA driver cannot be detected, so only shell is launched without the desktop.

yay -Qs linux61-nvidia shows:

local/linux61-nvidia 525.89.02-3 (linux61-extramodules)
    NVIDIA drivers for linux

The inxi -G command shows driver: N/A. And mhwd -li reports:

video-nvidia            2021.11.04               false            PCI

NVIDIA driver works well if I switch back to kernel 5.5.

This is a separate issue and should actually have its own topic. It can reference this one.

Please provide the output for:

mhwd --list && mhwd --listinstalled

… along with the other information requested above in said new topic.

I found a solution to this issue: add ibt=off inside the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT of /et/default/grub.

It is actually a bug:

nvidia may not boot on Linux 5.18 (or later) on systems with Intel CPUs (likely only of 11th Gen and onward) due to FS#74886/FS#74891. Until this is fixed, a workaround is disabling the Indirect Branch Tracking CPU security feature by setting the ibt=off kernel parameter from the boot loader.

1 Like

@gigi314
If the ip link and inxi commands already shows your WiFi device, it means it is already enabled. :thinking:
Do you perhaps mean unable to Connect to your Access-point?

I don’t think so, because it seems he has sorted it with kernel 6.1:

That could still be the same because of driver or cipher compatibility.
The hardware shows up in the output of the commands he posted, so hardware wise the device is already enabled…
Plus as you quoted using another kernel, which is software, it works, so thats another proof of the hardware already being enabled…

Yeah, I know. The new kernel is working, so I don’t think it was previously only an access point. Plus in the link I provided:

…the issue is fixed with kernel 5.17…

Anyhow, IMHO, the topic title is misleading to the actual problem…
It should not mention enabled in combination with BIOS, because that implies a hardware issue.
While the actual problem is in software…

1 Like

I am not a native English speaker, and I also realized the word enabled might be somewhat misleading :smile:

But anyway, now I am using Kernel 6.1, and both Wi-Fi and NVIDIA can work.

Just a suggestion but in the future before updating the bios reset the bios to defaults.After updating the bios reset to defaults again to clear anything left over from the older bios.Once that’s done reset the bios to the way you had it set up secure boot fast boot off etc.

Hi @gigi314 ,
Please, consider to read this post and follow the instructions at the end of it, marked as Solution.
Manjaro detected Intel Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi but the driver is N/A - #19 by JerryXiao

Hope this help, regards,

Moderator edit: Corrected link

Thanks.

Now it works under Kernel 6.1.

It may not apply to your case since the 6.1 kernel resolved this issue. I am on an older laptop, also running 6.1.21-1-MANJARO, however, I could not turn on the wi-fi connection. I had recently enabled the Legacy USB support in my BIOS, which stopped Manjaro from accessing the Ethernet card. I have the Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit using the driver “r8169” that used to be a problem in earlier 5.x Linux kernels.
It might help somebody else out there, just disabling Legacy USB restored the ability to use the adapter, even with the 6.1 kernel running.