WIFI authentication loop on Surface Pro 3

Hiya folks!

I have been running Manjaro with KDE Plasma for about a month now on my desktop PC and i absolutely love it. Everything works and there are guides for everything so that even a n00b like me can understand it all fine. So i decided to try it on my old Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I had POP_OS on it already and it worked, but i don’t like that distro so i wanted to see if i can use Manjaro on it with Gnome, as i find this desktop enviroment very touch-screen friendly.

Now, everything went fine, the installation was smooth, the system runs really snappy and fast compared to Windows 10 and POP_OS, but i can’t connect to my own WIFI. Whenever i put in the credentials it takes a few seconds and then… asks me for credentials. It’s in an authentication loop, so to say.

I can however connect to my cellphone’s hotspot for some reason. Using that, i installed community-made Surface packages, which apparently support this particular series of devices quite nicely. It all works and runs great, but still, i’m in an authentication loop with my WIFI.

I tried using the interwebs and guides for Manjaro and Arch to fix it, but i just can’t seem to figure it out. So here i am, asking for help from the community because i am not good enough at IT to figure this one out i’m afraid :stuck_out_tongue:

So, any help is very much appreciated and i’ll try and follow you guys’ instructions as good as possible, but please keep in mind that i might not know certain things which most would do automatically, so i might screw up a little. Anyway, super-long post over, i’ll anxiously await your comments!

Hi and welcome :wave:

Have you read this post. it states the WiFi needs some additional config to become stable. It’s 2 years old, might be solved, might not. have you tried this?

There seem to be some more tips and tricks for the Surface Pro 3 on the arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Microsoft_Surface_Pro_3#wifi_unstable_on_newer_kernels

If you have seen and tried the options or if you are unsure about some of the commands please make some details available for your other forum friends to help you out :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion! This page will be bookmarked for future reference on stuff and things i may want to alter on my device, but unfortunately his trick to keep the WIFI connected didn’t do anything for me. I think it’s not a common issue on these devices. Especially knowing that on both Windows 10 and POP_OS it worked out of the box with a fresh install, though maybe that’s not relevant at all; i don’t know :stuck_out_tongue:

Manjaro might not have the same setting out of the box that Pop has, nice that it works out of the box on pop, does not help here. Does your journal give any clues as to what is happening? If you post relevant parts please use the right formatting:

There is neat function in the editor the gear button that adds a way to hide details: hide details
You use it this way:
[details=“Example”]
```text
This text will be hidden
```
[/details]
It will show as t

Example
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed eleifend ipsum in mauris tempus feugiat. Mauris id sem lorem. Quisque tristique dui ut urna mollis egestas. Nulla varius, nulla eu volutpat sollicitudin, lectus nulla bibendum massa, non vestibulum quam lacus quis lacus. Phasellus quis orci turpis. Fusce ac feugiat dolor. Nunc purus orci, auctor ac egestas sed, congue non justo. Mauris vel bibendum velit. Mauris ut laoreet enim, nec placerat ante. Cras condimentum rhoncus mauris non molestie. Nunc eros lorem, tempor et justo at, porta commodo nisi. Nullam a massa sollicitudin, finibus velit sit amet, convallis lorem.

Aliquam porttitor dignissim semper. Morbi mattis tincidunt mauris, quis pretium purus finibus non. In hendrerit lectus consectetur dapibus sollicitudin. In et mauris ullamcorper arcu dapibus efficitur vel non eros. In ornare fringilla varius. Nullam est nisl, euismod eu tempus sed, molestie at nisi. Nulla facilisi. Curabitur non risus metus. Donec vestibulum magna ex, ut tincidunt tortor accumsan maximus.

Sed sed ipsum tortor. Phasellus pretium enim a commodo imperdiet. Integer placerat ligula ligula, id volutpat erat convallis vitae. Curabitur sit amet enim nibh. Integer et nibh hendrerit, aliquam lectus eu, dignissim dolor. Curabitur euismod diam sit amet lorem posuere, in congue sem venenatis. Donec in diam tincidunt, rutrum ligula sit amet, mollis erat. Mauris at aliquet mi. Nulla interdum lobortis tortor pulvinar tempor. Nam sit amet felis ac risus porttitor suscipit et ac ante. Vivamus sapien magna, accumsan pretium mauris sit amet, euismod pulvinar metus. Proin id blandit lacus. Mauris sed facilisis felis.

In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Pellentesque dignissim pulvinar mi nec facilisis. Proin molestie dui eu finibus porta. Vivamus gravida quam id ipsum pretium, vitae venenatis massa pharetra. Morbi a velit ultricies, bibendum elit ac, efficitur ipsum. Etiam sagittis ante vitae magna suscipit, ultricies pellentesque purus hendrerit. Phasellus vulputate risus non aliquam accumsan. Suspendisse suscipit dui eget consequat iaculis.

Phasellus ut elementum metus. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Ut arcu nunc, iaculis eu quam vel, tempor rhoncus elit. Sed in purus ac nibh fringilla tempor at sit amet diam. Integer eget diam pellentesque diam mollis pharetra eget id arcu. Nunc consequat enim sit amet ante facilisis, non mollis tellus fringilla. Quisque semper fringilla magna eu auctor. Ut volutpat dolor in nulla tempor sagittis. Suspendisse varius nulla ac dui pulvinar, vitae consequat dolor viverra. 

I found the journal (did not know this feature existed yet) and am searching for a way to output all the lines; i can’t select them all to copy-paste because they get cut off due to the size of the screen. There are lines there that give warnings about the networkmanager so i will edit this post and input them here or make another one!

$ journalctl --since=today | grep NetworkManager >nmtoday.txt
All the lines that have NetworkManager since ‘today’ in a text file for you to copy paste out of.
$ journalctl --since=today--priority=3 >errortoday.txt
All the errors (that it deems a higer priority then a warning/notice etc) in a text file to copy paste out of.

Thanks for that command, couldn’t find that online.

Samenvatting

Jan 24 00:04:54 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443094.1578] device (wlp1s0): state change: config → need-auth (reason ‘supplicant-disconnect’, sys-iface-state: ‘managed’)
Jan 24 00:04:54 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443094.1583] device (p2p-dev-wlp1s0): supplicant management interface state: 4way_handshake → disconnected
Jan 24 00:04:54 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443094.2568] device (wlp1s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected → inactive
Jan 24 00:04:54 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443094.2569] device (p2p-dev-wlp1s0): supplicant management interface state: disconnected → inactive
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8506] device (wlp1s0): no secrets: User canceled the secrets request.
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8506] device (wlp1s0): state change: need-auth → failed (reason ‘no-secrets’, sys-iface-state: ‘managed’)
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8511] manager: NetworkManager state is now DISCONNECTED
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8534] device (wlp1s0): set-hw-addr: set MAC address to AA:16:CE:08:8C:11 (scanning)
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro kernel: mwifiex_pcie 0000:01:00.0: Disabling ps_mode.
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8589] device (wlp1s0): Activation: failed for connection ‘Huizederuiter_Deco’
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8593] device (wlp1s0): state change: failed → disconnected (reason ‘none’, sys-iface-state: ‘managed’)
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro gnome-shell[5964]: An active wireless connection, in infrastructure mode, involves no access point?
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro gnome-shell[5964]: An active wireless connection, in infrastructure mode, involves no access point?
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8994] device (wlp1s0): supplicant interface state: inactive → disconnected
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.8994] device (p2p-dev-wlp1s0): supplicant management interface state: inactive → disconnected
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.9046] device (wlp1s0): supplicant interface state: disconnected → inactive
Jan 24 00:04:56 manjaro NetworkManager[359]: [1611443096.9047] device (p2p-dev-wlp1s0): supplicant management interface state: disconnected → inactive
Jan 24 00:05:00 manjaro gnome-shell[5964]: libinput error: event12 - Microsoft Surface Type Cover Keyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 11ms, your system is too slow
Jan 24 00:05:08 manjaro gnome-shell[5964]: libinput error: event12 - Microsoft Surface Type Cover Keyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 11ms, your system is too slow
Jan 24 00:05:23 manjaro gnome-shell[5964]: Window manager warning: last_user_time (235090) is greater than comparison timestamp (235059). This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW. Trying to wo>
Jan 24 00:05:23 manjaro gnome-shell[5964]: Window manager warning: W3 appears to be one of the offending windows with a timestamp of 235090. Working around…
Jan 24 00:05:26 manjaro gnome-shell[5964]: libinput error: event12 - Microsoft Surface Type Cover Keyboard: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 11ms, your system is too slow
Jan 24 00:06:37 manjaro systemd[1]: man-db.service: Succeeded.
Jan 24 00:06:37 manjaro kernel: audit: type=1130 audit(1611443197.661:135): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj==unconfined msg=‘unit=man-db comm=“systemd” exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success’
Jan 24 00:06:37 manjaro kernel: audit: type=1131 audit(1611443197.661:136): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj==unconfined msg=‘unit=man-db comm=“systemd” exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success’
Jan 24 00:06:37 manjaro audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj==unconfined msg=‘unit=man-db comm=“systemd” exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success’
Jan 24 00:06:37 manjaro audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj==unconfined msg=‘unit=man-db comm=“systemd” exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success’
Jan 24 00:06:37 manjaro systemd[1]: Finished Daily man-db regeneration.
Jan 24 00:06:37 manjaro systemd[1]: Startup finished in 5.093s (firmware) + 5.656s (loader) + 1.719s (kernel) + 5min 7.580s (userspace) = 5min 20.050s.

This is just one startup session, might be a bit more managable?

1 Like

Yup, thanks :+1:

Seems there is no passphrase to use. have you set up the connection for all users? (so that when no users is logged in the wifi can start) You can check this, if this fixes the no connection:

systemctl restart NetworkManager

This might fix it permanently: linux - Have to restart NetworkManager to get wifi autoconnect - Super User

Have you tried this: [Solved] Wifi not working on some acces point / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums ? It was also in one of first links for setting up the Surface3 on arch.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried them, but alas, to no avail. Nothing i try seems to work. NetworkManager is running and all. And i can somehow connect to my cellphone hotspot which is on the same WIFI i’m trying to connect to. Might be helpfull to know that it has never managed to connect, from the very start i booted into the live USB before installing it has failed to connect to my access point.

:thinking: it is getting late here, out of ideas.
A thing to try then is disable ipv6, your phone hotspot probably does only ipv4, so if that works your AP might be confusing the Network Manager?

You go and get some sleep, i will try that idea and hope for the best :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for all the help Hanzel! I figured out the problem by coincidence, but at least i learned a bit more about the system i’m using.

So apparently, i could not connect due to having “Seamless roaming/fast roaming” enabled on my home Mesh network (something i only installed a week ago so it did NOT enter my mind). Apparently, in POP_OS this feature is supported. On Manjaro, at the very least Gnome, it apparently isn’t. I thought something was strange when i tried out Solus Gnome to see if that would work a bit nicer. The moment i disabled fast roaming, the device connected.

There’s not a simple post about this on this whole forum, so i am quite curious to know if it’s Gnome, Manjaro, my device or a combination of a few things. In any case, i can now start fixing that which is really broken; when suspending the system it locks in a blackscreen while the keyboard does light up, so that’s gonna be a fun challenge :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.