Wi-Fi suddenly stops accepting requests?

My Wi-Fi connection doesnt’ work really well, I checked smartphones, other computers with different OS’ (Windows, macOS, other GNU/Linux distros) and they all work great, nothing much different from the usual speed and stability I get when connecting via Ethernet.

I did a fresh installation of Manjaro some time ago and I haven’t been able to update the software neither via pamac or terminal, when I’m at x% downloaded, the connection suddenly obfuscates, then the terminal/pamac bugs out and the download never resumes (trust me, I let the laptop online all night thinking everything would be done by morning). This extrapolates to navigating using Chromium or Firefox, most of the times I get the The request took too much time to respond, it happens to almost everything.

Curiously enough, when downloading via bittorrent the connection works well enough, it’s consistent.

inxi -F
System:
  Host: cerebrain-U925t Kernel: 5.4.22-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite U925t v: PSUL1U-01H008 
  serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Satellite U925t v: Version A0 serial: <root required> 
  BIOS: TOSHIBA v: Version 1.50 date: 09/27/2013 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 17.4 Wh condition: 17.4/37.7 Wh (46%) 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3337U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798 
  3: 798 4: 799 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.7 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting 
  resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile v: 4.2 Mesa 19.3.4 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio 
  driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.22-1-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 driver: iwlwifi 
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 60:36:dd:ba:0a:09 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 119.24 GiB used: 13.22 GiB (11.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: THNSNF128GMCS size: 119.24 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 116.87 GiB used: 13.22 GiB (11.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 188 Uptime: 1h 50m Memory: 3.74 GiB used: 2.05 GiB (54.8%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.37

I honestly have no idea what might be the problem, but I’m almost sure that what happens is that the connection suddenly stops working, then denies communication with other peers.

if you people could help me troubleshoot, I would appreciate it a lot. I don’t want to go back to Windows or Debian-based distros.

Hello,

Disable IPv6 and mac address randomization.

2 Likes

I removed tlp, it helped a bit but the problem persists overall. There is some kind of lag when resolving hostnames apparently. I edited NetworkManager.conf but when I tried to run systemctl restart NetvorkManager I got

Failed to restart NetvorkManager.service: Unit NetvorkManager.service not found.

Thats a typo.

Network not Netvork.

…you can also just restart.

1 Like

I restarted and the problem persists. Certainly, this things helped a bit since the connection it’s getting slowly better, but I the speed/latency is still pretty low compared to the average output. I read somewhere in the Arch/Manjaro forums that disabling IPv6 could help, I did it too and still, I get the connection timed out error a lot.

This post took about 5 minutes to send from Firefox, actually. I’m testing browsers and so far, Midori seems like a good alternative, it responds better than Firefox/Chromium.