Why there's a discrepancy between pacman's results and arch packages?

I’m trying to install cuda and on the results from pacman I see the following list:

core/icu 68.2-1 [installed]
    International Components for Unicode library
community/cuda 11.2.1-4
    NVIDIA's GPU programming toolkit
community/cuda-tools 11.2.1-4
    NVIDIA's GPU programming toolkit (extra tools: nvvp, nsight, samples)
community/cudnn 8.1.0.77-1
    NVIDIA CUDA Deep Neural Network library
community/pycuda-headers 2020.1-6
    Python wrapper for Nvidia CUDA
community/python-pycuda 2020.1-6
    Python wrapper for Nvidia CUDA
community/python-pytorch-cuda 1.8.0-2
    Tensors and Dynamic neural networks in Python with strong GPU acceleration (with CUDA)
community/python-pytorch-opt-cuda 1.8.0-2
    Tensors and Dynamic neural networks in Python with strong GPU acceleration (with CUDA and AVX2 CPU optimizations)
community/python-tensorflow-cuda 2.4.1-6
    Library for computation using data flow graphs for scalable machine learning (with CUDA)
community/python-tensorflow-opt-cuda 2.4.1-6
    Library for computation using data flow graphs for scalable machine learning (with CUDA and AVX2 CPU optimizations)
community/root-cuda 6.22.06-5
    C++ data analysis framework and interpreter from CERN with GPU (CUDA) features enabled
community/tensorflow-cuda 2.4.1-6
    Library for computation using data flow graphs for scalable machine learning (with CUDA)
community/tensorflow-opt-cuda 2.4.1-6
    Library for computation using data flow graphs for scalable machine learning (with CUDA and AVX2 CPU optimizations)

But, it seems that the latest cuda version on archlinux is 11.2.2-2 here

Why isn’t pacman picking the latest version available?

Probably because this is Manjaro, not Arch? :wink:
Manjaro stable lags a bit behind the latest and greatest …
just a bit, though

Manjaro is not Arch. Manjaro doesn’t even have every single package that Arch has, and Arch doesn’t have every single package that Manjaro has.

If you’re curious about what packages are in which branch, you can check Manjaro Branch Compare.

Manjaro Unstable is basically Arch Stable (minus some packages here and there) if you want to switch to that branch.

Thanks for the info folks, I guess I took it for granted that manjaro and arch packages would be at sync given pacman, my bad!

I’m trying to install cuda but the package that pacman serves doesn’t work, what I mean is that it installs fine but when I test it using the nvcc --version it gives info regarding GNU and not actual nvidia compiler anyone else facing the same problem?

To use nvcc , a gcc wrapper provided by NVIDIA, add /opt/cuda/bin to your path.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPGPU#CUDA

If you have any more questions or issues related to CUDA, please create a new thread for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

What he said.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.