Why not all the apps are using the selected theme?

I know this has been asked so many times, but I could not find any of them applicable to my case.

I’m using the Graphite gtk theme but some of the apps stick to the Adwaita-dark, including Files. I know this theme should apply to the Files app since all of the images advertising the theme show that app as an example. But for me, the theme does not change the looks of the Files app:

(the selected Graphite gtk theme on the right and unexpected Adwaita-dark theme on the left)

I have selected the Graphite gtk theme as for my “Shell” and “Legacy Applications” in the Tweak app. This also applies to some other windows as well (it’s not just Files).

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Thanks

You missed something… :wink:

-l, --libadwaita        Install link to gtk4 config for theming libadwaita
1 Like

Thanks. That’s one step forward. But now, the Files app is the using the light version, even though I’ve set the dark version:

This is the command I used to install the theme:

./install.sh -l -t teal --tweaks nord

Did you set the Style to Dark in GNOME Settings > Appearance?

Unless I’m misunderstood, I believe it shows in the screenshot that I included in my previous post.

Sorry, I just realized what you mean. Here’s the new screenshot:

How did you download the theme? I would clone the repo, don’t use the release tarball from GitHub or Pling / GNOME Look.

I downloaded the ZIP file from the GitHub. Pretty much the same as cloning.

Right, just wanted to make sure you had the latest version.

What do you have in this folder?

ls ~/.config/gtk-4.0/
ls ~/.config/gtk-4.0/
assets  gtk.css  gtk-dark.css  settings.ini

Sorry, should have asked you to run this command to make sure the proper symlinks were there:

ls -al ~/.config/gtk-4.0/

EDIT: Turns out there’s a possibly related upstream issue: Or not

ls -al ~/.config/gtk-4.0/
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  2 mehran mehran 4096 Mar 11 09:23 .
drwxr-xr-x 32 mehran mehran 4096 Mar 11 08:49 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 mehran mehran   60 Mar 11 09:23 assets -> /home/mehran/.themes/Graphite-teal-Light-nord/gtk-4.0/assets
lrwxrwxrwx  1 mehran mehran   61 Mar 11 09:23 gtk.css -> /home/mehran/.themes/Graphite-teal-Light-nord/gtk-4.0/gtk.css
lrwxrwxrwx  1 mehran mehran   66 Mar 11 09:23 gtk-dark.css -> /home/mehran/.themes/Graphite-teal-Light-nord/gtk-4.0/gtk-dark.css
-rw-r--r--  1 mehran mehran   47 Mar 11 08:34 settings.ini

I’ll be checking that link. Thanks

Aha! Notice your symlinks are pointing to Graphite-teal-Light-nord. Delete those and use the -c dark switch to link to the dark theme:

./install.sh -l -t teal -c dark --tweaks nord

Thanks, @Yochanan . It worked.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.