Why is Plasma 5.25 series not yet in Testing branch available?

You could just switch to unstable instead :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I made the switch from Testing to Unstable, but one shouldnā€™t have to.

1 Like

I donā€™t agree with everything Manjaro does and have often posted so. But we all know what Manjaro is, and it isnā€™t arch. Itā€™s a curated release with the stable branch ā€œnoob friendlyā€. If we want the latest and greatest software all the time then we use arch or another arch based distro.
Whether we like it or not manjaro is always going to hold some packages back until bugs have been resolved

4 Likes

And since we ship Plasma mostly pre-installed on our hardware we have to see that those work also. Those who are brave can always switch branches. And yes, we are not Arch: Manjaro is NOT Arch - YouTube

6 Likes

Now in our Testing branch ā€¦

ā€¦or Manjaro unstable branchā€¦

So 5.24.6 gets added to testing, then hours later it gets added to stable.

It will be weeks before another 5.24 update is out, soā€¦ how about we get 5.25 into the testing branch?

Looks like Manjaro is turning into the Ubuntu of the Arch world.

1 Like

Yes. As @philm
says it will be in late august or early september

that will be 5.25.5 which is the last version of 5.25

manjaro was not like this before

you can find testing updates of 5.24.1(20220221) and 5.23.1(20211020) and 5.22.1(20210616)

3 Likes

Getting a major Plasma release out takes longer as we also have to test those on our hardware products we sell as a company. 5.25 added many new features of which some were buggy on initial release and fixed on point releases partly. We may see 5.25.4 or 5.25.5 in stable. When we see an update on Testing we will see.

We have internal processes we all follow and maintaining a distro sometimes means holding back packages ā€¦

5 Likes

Switching branch to unstable to get only some stable Plasma release is not good and not logical at all, if we do it then all other programs will be unstable, so what should be done is pulling Plasma 5.25.3 which is already stable into stable branch, and 5.25 is already shipped and works fine with other distros like KDE Neon and Tumbleweed.

1 Like

They are considered as stable by developers and works fine on Arch and openSUSE Tumbleweed.

What is stable for developer is not necessary equal to what user understands by stability. For example, a floating panel had issues on wayland on day one. Niccolo talked about it on his channel.

As you can read above, support for laptops shipped with Manjaro have priority, and it looks like M-team needs testing branch for it.

Which to be blunt is asinine. Should be Unstable to Testing To Stable used for the devices. To have something newer in Stable than Testing is pure BS.

I tested it on KDE Neon, the latest 5.25.3 has no issues at all and has many cool features and great stability compared to 5.24, I just donā€™t understand how Manjaro team logic works, the testing branch should have embraced 5.25 since its first release to get enough time for testing, why waiting until it gets stable at 5.25.3 then start late testing, this is really bad planning. This great distro experience is getting low.

2 Likes

yes. I hope next week 5.25 will come to testing as 5.24.6 has shipped to testing this week

1 Like

While reading through various posts concerning the availability of Plasma 5.25 in stable branch, I canā€™t help but wonder about the unfriendly tone and demanding nature of some actors. At the same time, I wonder how many of these people have supported ā€œtheirā€ Linux distribution financially or through other help recently in order to push development.

8 Likes

I can just about understand (only just) not wanting to switch to unstable to get 5.25 but I wonder how many people have fired up a vm to help test on unstable if they donā€™t want to switch branches. More people testing quicker manjaro will push it

Why should they?
testing branch is for testing (not unstable) and peoply willling to test are asking for it in this very same topic.

Perhaps that is why testers (people using testing branch) want to testā€¦

Anyhow, the decision was made to keep 5.24 for the time being.
IMHO the problem lies in poorly communicated reasoning behind this and so people arenā€™t entirely convinced of that being a necessity.

3 Likes

I agree with you on this but the team have made the decision whether we agree or not. My post was more aimed at the hostile posts ā€œmaking demandsā€. I donā€™t think either of us agree with all the decisions the team make but if we are using thier distro then we have to accept thier decisions right or wrong

2 Likes

Since Plasma 5.24.6 is now in stable and testing, perhaps now 5.25 can be added to testing?

Or are you still claiming 5.24.6 still needs more testing, even though its already in stable?

4 Likes

You can always check which package is in which branch by using our online service packages.manjaro.org. 5.25.3 release of Plasma is scheduled to be added later today to our unstable branch. Feel free to switch to that if 5.25 series of Plasma is needed on your end. It is a feature release and not all team members of our development team gave it a green light yet. Be patient. It will be part of Manjaro 22.0 for sure, which might be out End of August, Mid-September ā€¦

12 Likes