Why is Plasma 5.25 series not yet in Testing branch available?

They are considered as stable by developers and works fine on Arch and openSUSE Tumbleweed.

What is stable for developer is not necessary equal to what user understands by stability. For example, a floating panel had issues on wayland on day one. Niccolo talked about it on his channel.

As you can read above, support for laptops shipped with Manjaro have priority, and it looks like M-team needs testing branch for it.

Which to be blunt is asinine. Should be Unstable to Testing To Stable used for the devices. To have something newer in Stable than Testing is pure BS.

I tested it on KDE Neon, the latest 5.25.3 has no issues at all and has many cool features and great stability compared to 5.24, I just don’t understand how Manjaro team logic works, the testing branch should have embraced 5.25 since its first release to get enough time for testing, why waiting until it gets stable at 5.25.3 then start late testing, this is really bad planning. This great distro experience is getting low.

2 Likes

yes. I hope next week 5.25 will come to testing as 5.24.6 has shipped to testing this week

1 Like

While reading through various posts concerning the availability of Plasma 5.25 in stable branch, I can’t help but wonder about the unfriendly tone and demanding nature of some actors. At the same time, I wonder how many of these people have supported “their” Linux distribution financially or through other help recently in order to push development.

8 Likes

I can just about understand (only just) not wanting to switch to unstable to get 5.25 but I wonder how many people have fired up a vm to help test on unstable if they don’t want to switch branches. More people testing quicker manjaro will push it

Why should they?
testing branch is for testing (not unstable) and peoply willling to test are asking for it in this very same topic.

Perhaps that is why testers (people using testing branch) want to test…

Anyhow, the decision was made to keep 5.24 for the time being.
IMHO the problem lies in poorly communicated reasoning behind this and so people aren’t entirely convinced of that being a necessity.

3 Likes

I agree with you on this but the team have made the decision whether we agree or not. My post was more aimed at the hostile posts “making demands”. I don’t think either of us agree with all the decisions the team make but if we are using thier distro then we have to accept thier decisions right or wrong

2 Likes

Since Plasma 5.24.6 is now in stable and testing, perhaps now 5.25 can be added to testing?

Or are you still claiming 5.24.6 still needs more testing, even though its already in stable?

4 Likes

You can always check which package is in which branch by using our online service packages.manjaro.org. 5.25.3 release of Plasma is scheduled to be added later today to our unstable branch. Feel free to switch to that if 5.25 series of Plasma is needed on your end. It is a feature release and not all team members of our development team gave it a green light yet. Be patient. It will be part of Manjaro 22.0 for sure, which might be out End of August, Mid-September …

12 Likes

but pulling plasma 5.25 to testing now does not influence with the stable release of 5.25 one month later.

The manjaro team needs time to test 5.25, right? We know that stable branch is updated monthly.

1 Like

I’m kinda excited for plasma 5.25 too; however, as @philm already mentioned plasma 5.25 is slated for the unstable branch… I feel it’s well under way.

P.S. and many thanks for being a testing branch user

4 Likes

@philm No love for Plasma 5.25, it already got third maintenance so its stable to be released. :sob:

1 Like

Having a third maintenance does not mean it is stable, be patient :wink: I prefer this way than the full arch way where you have to deal with all early breakages yourself

8 Likes

Plasma 5.25.3 is already stable and works fine and should be in stable branch, I don’t know what happened with Manjaro in 2022, they started ignoring Plasma releases, while GNOME is always pushed when a new stable version is released.

3 Likes

I was used to using kde neon which is the first distro having the last “stable” kde plasma and ho boy it is quite unstable until a 5.x.2/3 is released. They avoid us such problems by delaying the plasma releases, which is the purpose of manjaro (bleeding edge, but stable). Gnome may provide better stable releases which lead manjaro team to push them sooner

3 Likes

The problem is that 5.23.3 is already stable and should be included in this upgrade but Manjaro just started testing it in testing branch :sob: and GNOME has the worst upgrade experience with hell of broken extensions.

1 Like

I can’t say for GNOME, but I think it is a good practice to wait a little with kde/plasma just to be safe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s enough.

will be in testing when is ready for testing branch, since you have approve it, as ready you can change your own installation to unstable branch.

Its your computer, your OS and your responsibility, change it and update it as you please.

6 Likes