Why does kate use so much cpu?

I made the temp account and tested it, and kate works fine, however, I guess I will just be using nano or vs code to edit txt files now, because I have made edits to config files before, but I have no idea how they affect kate and only kate.

or at least I think I have made edits to config files, I have made edits to files that would definitely affect the second account too so those must not be the files that I am thinking of.
what do you mean by config file?

a piece of information that might be important is that I only noticed kate’s overindulgence in my cpu after I made edits to files that need root permissions to write to

It could be any config file, either manually created/edited, or when you change settings in KDE or different applications.

In fact, it could be a configuration you previously changed on Kate (with your main user account) but forgot about it.

You can rename/remove the relevant kate configs on your main user account.

Consider this folder:

~/.local/share/kate

And these files:

~/.config/kateschemarc
~/.config/katerc
~/.config/katevirc
~/.config/katemetainfos

I removed all those files, and there is no change. I double checked the temp account and I can’t get it to act in the same way

That certainly is crazy.
I just opened a large file in code, also in kate, and used btop to check them out - they both come in at 0.0% CPU on a Ryzen 5600G.

Why does kate use so much cpu? - #25 by winnie looks like a good plan.

I have no such folder on my KDE system.

Perhaps it was from an older installation in which you used Kate?

Do you have a katerc file located at ~/.config/katerc ?

yes I do

Did you notice the folder ~/.config/kate get recreated after running Kate again?

(No matter what I try, I cannot get that folder to appear. So it might be an older method in which Kate saved its settings.)

EDIT: That’s interesting. Hopefully this “high CPU” issue doesn’t recur.

Yes, it was recreated after I ran kate again.

I don’t understand, now after rebooting, the issue is back.

Try a shotgun approach.

Close all instances of Kate.

Then rename all relevant folders/files.

mv ~/.local/share/kate ~/.local/share/kate.old

mv ~/.config/kate ~/.config/kate.old

mv ~/.config/kateschemarc ~/.config/kateschemarc.old

mv ~/.config/katerc /.config/katerc.old

mv ~/.config/katevirc ~/.config/katevirc.old

mv ~/.config/katemetainfos ~/.config/katemetainfos.old

Then reboot. (Or just logout and log back in.)

the issue persists

I’m out of ideas.

We’ve exhausted nearly every possibility.

Unless you’ve installed a package from the AUR that is causing this.

Log out, rename your .config folder (to keep it) and/or the .local folder, from TTY, and log back in. See if issue persists.

If it doesn’t, then you’ll need to take time to log out and restore folders and files from the renamed .config folder to the fresh .config folder (same for .local), maybe do it step by step to see if issue arises at some point, instead of reimporting everything in bulk, so you can know at which point it breaks.

It will be long and boring.

Have fun.

There is one more test:

1. Create a new user/account in KDE
  2. logout, then login this new user
  3. Check kate if it has no issue?

Thread is long but you can search within the thread if you don’t want to read it. He already confirmed that new user doesn’t have issue.

I would have fun, however, kate continues to be uncooperative after I rename the folder and reboot.
I guess that helps somewhat, it means that the problem is not in the config folder somehow?

you mean folderS, right?

I wrote and/or but in the end you need to do both .config and .local at minimum to start cleaner on applications settings, to see what happens when you do one or the other or both.

yup i did both
tried uninstalling and making sure that those files were gone and then reinstalling kate too