Why are there a ton of hates for Manjaro?

The main thing i hated about first using Manjaro was once I installed it and got it set up like i wanted it worked without issues.I hated that so I switched to the testing branch and still had no major issues. I’ve since switched to the unstable branch and for the last couple years really haven’t had any major issues.I also hate the fact that when there is an issue I can log in the forum and usually there is a fix that if I’d read that first there would have been no issue.Another reason to hate Manjaro is this forum and all the people who go out of there way to help others.I guess I’m done with all the reasons to hate Manjaro so I hope they keep doing what they been doing very well for quite a few years now.If someone comes in the forum and I can help bad as I hate to I’ll do my best to help them not hate Manjaro. :grin:

5 Likes

Story behind the post

Well, I managed to convert the work of Asahi Linux to Manjaro ARM branch. In that process I used the latest PKGBUILD sources, which is a normal thing in Arch world and compiled that plus pushed it to our arm-unstable branches. After having it successfully tested on my Apple MacBook Air M1 I tweeted a link to an internal installer.

One of the feedback was that the URL shortener was adding some extra code, so I provided the link to the Manjaro Developer Storage Project we had on SourceForge net. SourceForge is its own story, so some didn’t like that as well.

After a while around 200 people already downloaded the installer for M1 and M2 devices. To protect AsahiLinux their lead developer mentioned that the shipped kernel has issues on one device, the Ultra M1. Therefore it should not yet been shipped. If that issue only created a soft brick or hard brick was not mentioned, just that there is some issue with it and they will fix it in a next release of the kernel.

Also it would be good to not ship newer packages than they ship in their stable repo. All what they are currently testing is found in their testing repo. Personally I tend to ship newer software and let our community who use the unstable branches help to test things, but other projects, especially in ARM world like to test themselves before shipping it to any users they may have. Maybe I still need to work on that special cases happening in ARM world and not push out as usual as I do with x86_64.

Those affected images are now deleted and the SourceForge project cleared again. So what happened? I removed the 6.0 kernel and replaced it with the working 5.19 kernel, created another image with more fixes and pushed it to our internal infrastructure. Sent out an email to Asahi and mentioned the links there too. So lets see what will happen.

Further story what leads to that post

Caleb is a developer from PostmarketOS, which is a distro for Phones based on ARM tech. Manjaro also pushes software out for the Pinephones. I’m also involved into that and also tend to push Phosh related packages with git versions out there. I added Split the app grid out from the overview (!1079) · Merge requests · World / Phosh / phosh · GitLab and mentioned some issues with it plus let the users briefly test it on our end. However the vision of the developers was not finalized and they are still working since more than 4 months on that change. PostmarketOS tend to discuss each change in their team first so the users get a really stable packages updates. Again my changes were pushed to the arm-unstable branches first and posted about it so our experienced users may easily test it and give early feedback. However that seems to create more work for developers as they are still in design mode and don’t want external input or what the user base may think of it.

Then there was my Attempt with Gnome Mobile Shell and some issue with Chatty Client and many more of partly minor issues he collected by following my work flow. Again, most got found and reported by our user base.

So anyway, you get the picture right? If not here is a website which got created cos of this all: https://do-not-ship.it/

How does this drama affect @goingtosleep?

Well, if you looked at your PC and the fuzz we currently talk about I’m 99.99% sure that that all won’t affect you as you use x86_64 Intel/AMD architecture and not an ARM Mac nor ARM Phone.

You may have issues with regular kernels like 5.19.12 won’t fly right with Intel APUs and other things you may read up in the Testing and Unstable Update announcements or any which may occur with the Stable.

Conclusion

My developer workflow I do since 13 years by now for Manjaro needs still adjustments and I may need to use my personal Twitter account more to make it more clear that it is my own opinions which may not reflect the vision of my Manjaro Company or the Manjaro Community Project. Also may slow down my activities in development and maybe do other things like answer on Twitter, Youtube, give more interviews, try to focus more on managing the projects I lead with more meetings and try to talk even more to the user and developer communities before releasing anything. Who knows.

So thx for all the fish and lets enjoy the new Macbook Air M1 a little more. See you all on Twitter

12 Likes

Please don’t jeopardise your health with a shedload of stress. It’s not wise to take anything from the Internet to the heart, especially twitter, aka small things court, where everyone is potentially a reckless judge.

Nonetheless, I reckon it could be better to post mostly links to Manjaro’s blog. It’s just an idea, but I suppose it should be easier to explain what happens with more details there, plus you can have other developers keeping the blog update as scheduled.

I have heard about expired SSL certificates and the grief of one youtuber. The first case was ridiculed for recommending changing the time in the system to make these certificates work. In the second case, some guy there lamented that he had developed patches for some broken package, and they were used without his permission. Still another case spoke of bad behavior of pamac, which, when searching, immediately queried the AUR servers when typing every single letter. All the rest is gibberish.
Summary - even if some or all of this is true, it does not affect the end user.
Personally, I don’t see a better distribution than Manjaro. Previously I used Arch - the longest it lasted was 4 months without getting a rash. It screwed me up all the more because I needed to use my computer urgently, not to patch a mess after an update. I believe that the system is for the people and not the other way around. In Manjaro, of course, I also encountered small problems, but they were easily fixed, or an update of the faulty software would come out the next day. If someone has enough time to keep track of every change in every package before updating, and to calculate whether it will break the system - go ahead, let him use arch or whatever he likes.

1 Like

Truth behind the hate is probably that Arch and Arch derivative distributions’ users see the traction and popularity of Manjaro, and look for anything they can to spit their jealousy. The Reddit posts you have basically the same people in their echo chamber. Actual Manjaro users are here, not there.

Let them hate, it only brings more people to Manjaro in the end, as a lot of people will actually try and see by themselves all these “problems” we supposedly have all the time in Manjaro.

The fact they can’t stop thinking and talking about Manjaro is also hilarious. Just look at them in their bubble. It will pop at some point.

2 Likes

not stable enough for debianers, not defaulter enough for ubuntuers, not edge of the line enough for archliners, you get a bit from everyone. At the end of the day Manjaro still rulz!!

4 Likes