Which GMK MiniPC with Linux support? Saw on Reddit lots of problems with Linux support

Hi

Which GMK MiniPC with Linux support? Saw on Reddit lots of problems with Linux support…

I search cheap Linux MiniPC

Thank you very much and a happy weekend

1 Like

the question is what you’re planning to do with the computer. there are a plenty of companies and it’s against the forum-rules to promote a company.
all in 16GB of RAM should be the minimum you should seek nowadays, 32 GB aren’t that much more expensive and would fit almost every aspect of “ordinary” computing for the next years. a 8-core cpu is perfect for computing and gives enough performance.
another focus should be the graphic of the system. the actual amd and intel graphics are pretty good but there are a lot of mini-pc’s that use cpu’s with an “older” graphics, especially if you look to an intel-system.
another important aspect is the cooling of the system. there are mini-pc’s offered that will have really nasty, loud fan-systems and others that provide a smooth and silent use.

2 Likes

How about the official partner with a coupon…

2 Likes

This might help:

2 Likes

Venus UM790 Pro/UM760 Pro is too expensive. $669.00 USD

okay, i’m sure the actual mini’s are out of budget but a quick tip. if you search for intel-systems and the graphics is called “iris” and at amd they call it “zen3” then it is a good choice.

While Manjaro forum members seem happy to throw a few suggestions in your direction, I’m afraid we won’t do your research or shopping for you.

Google is your friend (I don’t believe I wrote that!).

Cheers.

1 Like

Well both GMKtech and Minisforum start from 150$/€. Depending on the specs (the 150 version with N4000 cpu and 4GB is a little on the absolute minimum side but i guess it will be ok for Office and browsing).
And then there is the second hand market, and the laptop market, and the normal nonmini PC market. You can have a decent PC for simple jobs for a 100 bucks nowadays, if it is not mini and not the very newest. For any normal form factor intel or amd pc from the last 2-3-5-10 years the compatibility with linux is almost certainly guaranteed.

You have to do the shopping selection on your own. Where we can maybe help is the question of compatibility. There is a special site about this (does not matter it is for all linuxes and not only manjaro). And do not forget to contribute and upload your probe when you get your pc.

1 Like

the times that linux was running acceptable with 4GB RAM is far over and browsing + operating system @4GB RAM is imho a no-go. 16 GB RAM should be the minimum rating if you wanna run linux for the next 2-3 years and god knows how mad the browsers will get in future eating RAM-space.

I would say 16G RAM and a CPU with 5 in the name (Corei5/Ryzen5) is a safe bet for an average, future proof config for linux for normal daily tasks.

1 Like

Well, I’ve got an extremely heavily customized KDE here. (I like playing.) And it uses ±2.5GB RAM on boot-up, so I think 4GB might be enough if your requirements aren’t heavy.

1 Like

if you wanna run a browser ? 4 gb are emergency-mode but a proper work ? i doubt and @Mirdarthos keep in mind that apps are getting more and more ram-hungry especially browsers and that the ram on a lot mini-pc’s is soldered to the board (especially at the cheap ones). there is often no chance for a later upgrade.

I know. And I also know my system is heavily optimized.

And don’t forget, I didn’t mention anything about swap or zram or something in that regard. And one of the lighter DEs will obviously help.

That’s why I specified might.

1 Like

My main use case is watching 4k movies / Torrent client

I second that. Users limited by low spec hardware simply develop a usage pattern that fits their machines. An 2.8GB ram athlon II dog was our public studio pc for tech tutorials and music vids and nobody ever complained that you couldn’t have more than 3 tabs open.
In fact, the only time I wasted money on upgrades was when I maxed out my Schenker with 24GB of ram; have yet to see usage go over 7GB, old habits hey…

1 Like

I use a Raspberry Pi for that. So that it doesn’t suck my battery dry to keep running. It is a CLI client, though, which might not be your style, and anything with a GUI will be more resource-intensive.

I don’t know and am not sure, but I don’t think a cheap(ish) MiniPC will be able to do that. For that I’d definitely suggest 8GB or more RAM. Especially if you do other stuff at the same time ass the movie.

1 Like

If you can get a fast nvme SSD then relying on SWAP suddenly becomes perfectly viable and even 4GB RAM can work surprisingly far.

1 Like

in this case i would check out for an amd-zen3 system. the integrated graphic isn’t that bad and is a little bit more powerful than the intel-systems with iris in this price-range.
i don’t know where you’re living but here in europe/germany i would suggest that a medium-god system will cost around 350-400 €urons. systems below this price range do lag too much of missing power and they don’t match the price/value. imho wasted money, these systems can be used for small projects but not as a multimedia-desktop. take your time and if needed wait a little bit longer until your budget is right instead of buying the cheapest avaiable offer. you just get disappointed later with these chinese-crackers.

Then forget about the cheapest options as Olli says.
Another note from me: torrenting, as well as swap, heavily burdens the SSD disk. And they have a limited number of write cycles. Still the better option, just do not use that pc for work without backing up, so that it will be no big deal/drama if the disk fails in for example 3 years. If it is only multimedia it is not big deal.

1 Like