Which browser do you recommend or use for security/privacy?

There is another discussion about Brave and I didn’t want to hijack the thread.

Some of the comments had me thinking and I was wondering what people are using for security/privacy focused browsers?

I am looking for a good browser that is security and privacy focused. I have been using Brave, and from an end-user perspective it performs very well. Very fast and excellent site compatibility. I’m open to change, and I just want to make the most well-informed decision possible.

I do follow and listen to Rob Braxman (Rob Braxman); he has done some work to compare browsers, show how tracking algorithms work etc. The latest information is that he thinks Brave is one of the best browsers available for “normal” users, but it is not perfect, and it is likely still trackable.

I don’t really WANT to support a chromium based product because I’d like to see more competition and I don’t like google controlling the direction of the internet.

I’m not a big fan of Mozilla now, and also I think the Firefox browser has not performed well for me over the past few years.

I’d love your thoughts / suggestions or anything you want to point to for additional research.

:point_up:
Also, i have my doubts regarding privacy with any Chromium based browser, as the addons are AFAIK still from the Chrome Web Store, which Google controls…

Currently still going with Firefox and privacy oriented addons (uBlock Origin, uMatrix). Though i am not a fan of it sometimes bringing in Chrome-like “features”, last in date being the removal of View Image (in same tab)

2 Likes

My recommendation has always been Firefox. I’ve even switched to Firefox on my Android tablet.

That said, I am of opinion that only you’ll be able to decide.

Of course, if you’re REALLY serious about privacy there’s always TOR Browser and it’s based on Firefox anyway. But with that, expect thing to break.

1 Like

I am using Firefox on Linux and Windows for a long time now.

I recommend backing up the folder .mozilla or parts of that in the home directory.

1 Like

Due to the controversial nature of the subject, is better to keep it short. Also was covered in the past.