Where to suggest another acpi:button:dmi-quirk patch?

My old Medion E2227T netbook (old Atom-x5 CPU) got pretty slow under Win10. So I wanted to install Manjaro XFCE on it. Graphical installers booted into some standby-like state. However, Ctrl+Alt+F#terminals appeared OK, So I installed Arch on it. Command line was ok but not XFCE itself.

Finally Google found a kernel patch introduced for Medion E2228T which suffered from an always closed lid button. So I duplicated and modified that for the E2227T. I built a Manjaro linux510 kernel on my desktop and installed it onto the Arch netbook. It helped. So I used a self-built Manjaro-Architect to install Manjaro XFCE. It is command line and allowed me to chroot in my custom kernel.

diff -ru a/drivers/acpi/button.c b/drivers/acpi/button.c
--- a/drivers/acpi/button.c	2020-12-13 23:41:30.000000000 +0100
+++ b/drivers/acpi/button.c	2021-06-09 11:24:14.661778842 +0200
@@ -106,6 +106,17 @@
 	},
 	{
 		/*
+		 * Medion Akoya E2227T, notification of the LID device only
+		 * happens on close, not on open and _LID always returns closed.
+		 */
+		.matches = {
+			DMI_MATCH(DMI_SYS_VENDOR, "MEDION"),
+			DMI_MATCH(DMI_PRODUCT_NAME, "E2227T"),
+		},
+		.driver_data = (void *)(long)ACPI_BUTTON_LID_INIT_OPEN,
+	},
+	{
+		/*
 		 * Razer Blade Stealth 13 late 2019, notification of the LID device
 		 * only happens on close, not on open and _LID always returns closed.
 		 */

My question is where to announce that patch to get it included into the kernel officially.
Where can I announce that patch of drivers/acpi/button.c to get it included into the kernel officially?

Perhaps at kernel.org? :wink: Or, if it’s specific to Manjaro,we could ping @philm. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I had the same problem when trying to install Linux Mint. The patch itself is only tested for Manjaro. I think that it is rather general. So I will try to find something acpi-ish at kernel dot org
Regards Michael