Where is xrandr?

So, I’ve previously used xrandr -o in several linux distributions to dynamically alter screen orientation. I heard Manjaro was basically Kubuntu w/ a better package manager, so I decided I’d give it a spin…

I load the live instance and test drive; “xrandr -o left” and xrandr -o normal" both work just fine. Then I install.

Now when I type an xrandr command it tries to switch it to “_xrandr”, then it says it has no idea what I’m talking about, whether I allow the substitution or not, though there’s still a man page. I have made sure to select X11 instead of Wayland in the login screen, but still the same behavior. What’s going on?

$ pacman -F xrandr
extra/bash-completion 2.11-3 [installed]
    usr/share/bash-completion/completions/xrandr
extra/xorg-xrandr 1.5.2-1 (xorg-apps xorg) [installed]
    usr/bin/xrandr

You need to install the xorg-xrandr package (or the xorg-apps or xorg groups).

Thank you very much! I guess pacman -F is like yum provides.
Odd that it was included in the live but not the install.

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

Then I’m afraid you heard (or were told) wrong. Kubuntu is Debian-based, while Manjaro is Arch-based.
We don’t follow any of the Debian or {K,X,M,Edu,}buntu decisions. We follow Arch as our upstream. :wink:

Furthermore Kubuntu is a fixed-point-release distribution, whereas Manjaro is a rolling-release distribution. You install it only once and just keep it updated. No periodic reinstallation required. :wink:

If it’s on the live image but not on the installed system, then perhaps you used one of the minimal images instead of the full-fat ones? :man_shrugging:

And now I’ve found kscreen-doctor, so apparently I never needed xrandr, or X11 at all.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.