Where i could learn packaging?

I use Manjaro 3 months now (I’m glad to threw away Windows 10 into to a dark :smiley:), but i want to be more than user. My friend from Red Hat told me you don’t need be programmer for packaging. Yes, i had few hours python in a school, but nothing exciting. So, where i could learn packaging for Arch based distros? I want to learn it and help with develpoment. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Start by reading here Creating packages - ArchWiki

You could then help ( if you find problem ) by improving the PKGBUILDS Groups · Packages · GitLab If you really see a problem.

But also you could help by creating new PKGBUILDS and releasing them on AUR, ( that helps all Arch based distros ).

For example, you use some niche software that has only github page where the creator of the software gives only compilation steps. You can create a recipe PKGBUILD that handles that compilation and release on https://aur.archlinux.org/

10 Likes

I’ve marked the below answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (I just want to avoid even more subjective opinions being posted and confusing you even more)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.