Where does xrandr save settings?

Hello all,
On this last update my laptop rebooted and my resolution settings were gone, as well as my signal-desktop theme settings. I fixed the resolution with xrandr but didn’t save the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and rebooted. The screen setting was saved and I was able to login without any issues.

The question is where Manjaro saves the settings for xrandr, because I didn’t save it.

As a side question, is the removal or resetting of the signal theme and resolution part of the update / upgrade process? How is that handled via the update process?

I looked at the i3WM gitlab for any clues to the process but did not really find anything that stood out to
me.

Thanks in advance!

xrandr doesn’t save anything, it modifies the state of the current Xorg session. So if those settings were preserved across reboots, then something else did save them.

1 Like

I use autorandr, it can be used to save dual screen configurations and most likely single screen too.

For example, I have laptop with hdmi output and second screen:

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto --left-of eDP-1-1
autorandr --save workstation1
autorandr --change

Where workstation1 is a custom setup to save. Any other name can be used, home, work, etc.

For i3wm you can either open the terminal:

autorandr --change

Upon next boot to activate the saved config.

Or add the following to .iconfig/i3/config to make it persistent:

exec_always autorandr --change

@pobrn that’s the line of thought I’m thinking as well.

@zircon34 thanks for the tip on autorandr!

I’d still like to know where exactly the initial screen resolution is kept because I’ve been unable to find it. If I didn’t save it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ then where the heck it is coming from? Only thing I can think is from the initial install of Manajro itself.

If you don’t have the need for creating configs on the fly you use arandr to create a script which can the be launched by means of adding it to the config.

arandr saves a shell script in ~/.screenlayout which can be launched at will.

@linux-aarhus thanks mate.

I think I’m just going to let grep scour through the filesystem and look for 2560x1600 and see what it finds–as I can not find a config anywhere.

where is .iconfig/i3/config located?

That is a typo… should be in .config/i3/ folder, where your i3 config file is located.

~/.i3…

I haven’t moved it from the distro default.