When will Manjaro Gnome allow switching to a Wayland session on machines with Nvidia cards by default and what's preventing this?

Mea culpa. I do tend to digress at times. I did however make a good attempt at addressing the intended subject of the thread, though.

:peace_symbol:

@philm has repeatedly brought this consideration up in replies to questions from members why Manjaro doesn’t have ${requested_feature_here} yet.

However, given that you’ve posted this thread in the #non-technical-questions section and that the thread does indeed for most part revolve around the question why as opposed to the question “Could you please”, I think it may have run its course, and that if you really insist on having this support now, it would be better to start a thread under the #site-feedback:feature-request category.

People here calling Wayland more buggy than Xorg are definitely not working on mixed dpi/hidpi monitors. Switched to Wayland for a while now and admitted on a Prime laptop so I barely use Nvidia over the integrated Intel chip but still I barely have any issues at all.

I would rather go back to MacOS or even Windows than having to deal with fractional scaling and mixed dpi on Xorg again.

Not saying Wayland should be the default but an easier way in the system settings or something like that, to set Wayland as default would be a breath of fresh air for those using it as a daily driver.

1 Like

I do agree with you that wayland in not yet ready, I tried Fedora recently and have seen alot of bugs. I wanted a really stable system so i stopped going for the wayland hype…
I will add this KDE has really ■■■■■■ gesture support, in fedora gestures are really amazing and workflow becomes alot smother when switching desktop and apps…

Aye, but with Fedora being bleeding-edge, they’re probably already using Plasma 5.25 now, while Manjaro Stable is still on Plasma 5.24. And there’s a reason for that too, namely that Plasma 5.25 introduces a number of regressions for bugs that had been fixed in 5.24.

So then it boils down to the same thing again, doesn’t it? Either you go with something stable that has less features or you go with the “Oooh, shiny!” Latest & Greatest™ that contains some serious bugs that had been fixed but have now returned nevertheless.

You can never win. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah i was so frustrated at one point i was thinking to use Ubuntu, when you are working and some s**t goes down. believe me cutting edge will not appeal to you again. :rofl:

Agreed.

that is, was and i’m afraid will be the groundhog problem with plasma till the last day

2 Likes