What Is The Status Of Open Nouveau nVidia Display Driver On Manjaro?

Hi,

How well does the current open Nouveau nVidia display driver work on current Manjaro?

Have three desktops that I might install current Manjaro to with the following nVidia cards:

• nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 PCIe
  • nVidia GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 PCIe
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCIe

Will the above three nVidia graphic cards work well with current Nouveau?
Also how is 3D gaming using Valve’s Linux Steam gaming client and W.I.N.E.?
Some of the game’s I play are below:

• Doom4
  • Black Mesa
  • Half-Life 2
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Prey(original version)

Let me know, currently looking for a new Linux distro and taking a second look at Manjaro…

Jesse

There are hard questions to answer since it is hardware specific.

From my experience using a GTX 950, the nouveau driver is not great for some games/situations. Others there is no noticeable difference, I don’t play any of the games you list so I won’t be able to give you a comparison. Maybe other users might be able to share some experiences.

From my understanding/experience the distribution has very little influence on the performance, there might be some gains to be made using a specific setting/kernel/driver etc. install steam, lutris and just about everything works out of the box with good performance for the hardware that does not need tweaking. If not, check protondb for solutions.

A talk from a arch user about gaming:

If you are gaming then you really want to be using the nvidia drivers rather than nouveau drivers. As far as I know the current nvidia drivers should work with all 3 cards

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve been using Linux for many years and have always used the proprietary nVidia display driver.
Was wondering if now is a good time to try out the open source driver?

Jesse

Hello,

Trying them will lead you to the conclusion that are not providing the performances required for gaming nor other tasks that involve GPU computing …

1 Like

Try with the live USB to boot with free drivers, but on three computers with different Nvidia cards, I can’t even boot with free driver, only nonfree (Nvidia) can boot the computers.