What is the best kernel for my pc?

Hi,
I am looking for the best kernel for my computer, which one would you recommend (and if possible why). I’m curious, that’s why I discovered Linux and therefore Manjaro. Thank you in advance for your answers, here are the specs of my machine:
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.113.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 4.19.304-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Dell Inc. (far be it from me to advertise a brand!)
Product Name: Latitude E5450

Whichever works.

1 Like

As you can see here your kernel is the oldest still supported LongTermSupport or LTS kernel. It’s a good idea to pick the latest LTS kernel that’s running fine and keep a lower one (that you know works) as a backup.

In your case I’d install 6.1 (keep 4.19) and use it for about a month. If all goes well, install 6.6 (keep 4.19&6.1) and test that for a week. If all goes well remove 4.19, keep 6.1 as a backup and run with 6.6.

3 Likes

There is no such thing as “the best”. Only you can answer that question relative to your own needs. However, @dalto has a wise suggestion:

1. Use the LTS kernel - No seriously. Unless you have a specific reason not to use the LTS kernel, use it. It is very common for new kernels to have issues with certain hardware or configurations. The LTS kernel protects you from 90% of these issues.

How to run a stress-free EndeavourOS - Community contributions - EndeavourOS

3 Likes