What if I choose non-free if I have Intel HD graphics?

Hello community! I know that if you choose non-free from start-up boot menu, you can have appropriate drivers for your proprietary nvidia gpu. That isn’t neccesary for amd/intel gpu(s). Now, I do want proprietary drivers for my touchpad and a few things. But would i still get appropriate drivers for my Intel HD Graphics?

1 Like

The option in installing proprietary drivers is only to install nvidia drivers for nvidia gpus. All other drivers should be included as part of the kernel. There’s the odd exception but mostly installing with free drivers everything works

What about proprietary touchpad and printer drivers?

1 Like

99% of touchpads will just work, very rare for them not too. For printers it depends on the printer, HP work really well but if your printer needs dedicated drivers they are usually available in the aur

Options FREE/NON-FREE are dedicated directly to MHWD (mostly GPU and Network drivers).
Touchpads should be works OUT OF BOX otherwise need customs configs or other xorg part.
What exactly touchpad you have here?

sudo dmesg|grep Touchpad

results please :wink:

elan touchpad.

1 Like
  1. install:
sudo pacman -Sy xf86-input-synaptics
  1. Create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf with CODE in:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection

Reboot.
you need to manually setup binding keys and scrolling in external applet from your Desktop Environment.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.