What happen if I never update manjaro?

is there will be any issue in future if I do not update system for around six months or longer?

Six months? Probably not an issue.

As more and more time passes, the next batch of updates will increase the likelihood of a failed/difficult update if too much of the underlying system has changed since then (perhaps in years of passing). This includes upgraded DEs, new software, new libraries, new system configurations, new services, new startup procedures, etc.

This is true for most rolling release distros, as there is no “software version freeze” policy (i.e, such as with Debian and Ubuntu, and their derivatives.)

But I’m sure this has been discussed at length ever since Manjaro’s inception. :wink:

2 Likes

You will be running a system with known security vulnerabilities.

1 Like

You can’t install new software via the package manager or repositiory.
You may install it manually, but if the software depends on an alread installed program, just with a newer version, it may not start.

2 Likes

I am not recommending running a system without keeping it up-to-date.

What happen if I never update manjaro?

The short answer are nothing

But if you are only rarely online - it doesn’t matter.

From my notebook

https://root.nix.dk/en/notes-and-bookmarks/manjaro-historic-update-notes

For testing purposes I decided (august 2018) to install an old Manjaro Openbox 0.8.13.1 (release august 2015).

There was showstoppers - and it was not easy - but I managed to sync to the at that time current unstable repo.

A year later (august 2019) I tested again - this time Manjaro Xfce 15.12 and managed to sync it to the current stable repo.

So - you can install Manjaro - and never sync it. The only bad things that can happen are your own habits.

4 Likes

“What happen if I never update manjaro?”.

Easy, you’ll hate yourself and/or Manjaro and/or Linux in general.

1 Like

I tried that with Arch a month ago. Installed 2017 or 2018 iso with Plasma and then updated it. Only thing I needed was pacman-static.

4 Likes

As far as I know if you install Manjaro and never go online nothing will happen it will stay just as you installed it.

3 Likes

Yes, there will be. Manjaro is a curated rolling-release distribution with on average two bundled updates per month. That means that by the time you get to update your system, you’d be about twelve degrees behind on the evolution of things, and you’d be begging for package conflicts.

If for whatever reason you cannot keep your system updated at least once a month, then Manjaro is not the right distribution for you ─ nor are any of the other Arch derivatives ─ and then you’d be better off with a fixed-point release like Ubuntu, Mint, Mageia, et al.

Also, as @anon59284200 said, your system would be seriously behind on security updates, making it into a liability, both for yourself and for everyone else on the internet.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why it would be a problem if you haven’t updated in 6 months, why couldn’t the update tool update everything to the same level as a new install ?

Maybe you need to read the thread :arrow_heading_up:

It could but it could also break your install. Imagine the number of packages that would be updated after 6 months, so many chances for something to break

but it’s using the same packages as everyone else, there shouldn’t be anymore chances for something to break than if you updated over the 6 months or in an hour.

Not quite.

In theory, it should shouldn’t. Practically? Now that’s something entirely different.

In reality packages get upgraded continuously. There would be many more updates for the same package in a year, than in a month. Quite possibly breaking changes.

Combine that with multiple package upgrades over a long time. That’s a recipe for a broken system. Also tears. Many, many tears.

2 Likes

I’ve had a couple of instances of Manjaro machines being in storage for about 18 months, and in neither case was I able to upgrade afterwards.
The first was in 2013-14 (so quite early in Manjaro’s history): the repository structure had changed too much to be able to find the repositories without hand-editing the config files.
The second was in the last month or so and as I recall, there were so many conflicts that needed to be resolved manually that it was easier to generate a list of installed packages, then reinstall followed by installing the “installed list”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.