What do I do when Gnome freezes on bootup

With Gnome, I’m having trouble that on bootup it gets stuck with the little 3 dots or just a blank screen just after the grub menu. In Nibia this would happen occasionally, but in Onara it’s been very frequent where I’ve had to reinstall the entire OS, honestly 20 times, because I don’t know how to problem solve this issue. If I install Onara from the Onara download I’ll probably never bootup the first time successfully. I fortunately had a USB image of Nibia and then I could install, bootup and then after the upgrades the problems would start.
With the fix of 5.11 last week that seems to have resolved the problems, for now. Before the cursor would look like a ladder in 5.11 but now that has been fixed and Onara seems so far to be much more stable.
But my question is, how do I problem solve this fact that during bootup of the GUI, the computer just hangs there and never proceeds to bootup? I could restart the machine multiple times and when it happens that 3-4 times in a row that I can’t get in I’m now back to reinstalling the OS.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.
  3. There is such a thing called TTY2 and you enter it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 and logging in there.
    That will allow you to post any information that we require to help us help you solve your issue.
  4. It looks like you’re a single kernel person. On a rolling release model like Manjaro, it’s a good idea to have at least one LTS kernel available in case the Stable kernel (5.11) acts up, so install 5.10 (and 5.4 is you have enough space on /) ASAHP and boot into those before you have any problem!.
    Have a look here to understand what’s an LTS (=Long Time Support) and a Stable kernel.

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information

Sorry, I have no idea what that all means.

There is such a thing called TTY2 and you enter it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 and logging in there.

Same here

In regards to Kernels, I do run several, but only after trying this for 3 months did I just realize I could try to boot with a different kernel through the grub screen. However, in my defense, only recently did that grub screen appear, I think because I have two DE’s on two different partitions. But Gnome always just booted up without a grub screen and I had no idea how to stop the process and change the kernel.

Sorry, that’s not much help, but that’s all I know.

Please read this:

This info will be provide going forward, in my newest question on a KDE install I have included your request info, at least the inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width.

However, when this freezing at the GUI bootup screen happens, I cannot boot into my GUI. So there is no way for me to provide you with this information as I cannot get into my Gnome DE. Now perhaps you all might tell me how to get into a terminal window to get you that info but it is not at all obvious how to do that.

• Print this page so you have it as a reference while in TTY2

• Log off

• Switch to TTY2 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2

• Execute:

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width > /temp/bkarlaninxi.txt

• Boot a Manjaro USB

• Open your primary hard disk partition in Gnome files

• copy paste /temp/bkarlaninxi.txt from files into your response.

:crossed_fingers:

Just to be sure here, since I’m running a Macbook Pro Retina, should the key be CTRL or CMD? Also, since the MB defaults to using the Function keys for other assigned duties, do I need to add in Fn when pressing F2?

I’m sorry mate, but the last time I bought Apple hardware, the good Steve was still actively working for Apple, so you’re on your own there!

:sob:

Ok, so when you say to Execute: inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width > /temp/bkarlaninxi.txt, I’m not sure what that means exactly. Does that mean to simply open terminal and type in that and hit enter or is there something more to it?

What I meant to say is:

You cannot open a terminal as Gnome freezes, so press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or whatever that is on a Mac, I can’t help you there), but what it does is open TTY2 and then you can still use a CLI that allows our community to see what kind of hardware you have ans have a first look at what kind of information we have to dig down into…

:sob:

1 Like

Does that information immediately get transferred to you? If not, how do I get it to you since I’m unable to use a browser or send email?

No! :scream:

Boot a Manjaro Nibia USB and post it here on the forum!

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I think you’re missing my point. If I am in the command line and I run your request and then I have to boot into Gnome via the USB, how do I get the information, which I’m sure is substantial, to you? I wouldn’t be able to print it in order to scan it to you and I certainly can’t cut and paste it.

Who said anything about booting in Gnome?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

P.S. :yawning_face: :bed: :zzz:

Didn’t you say to boot into a Manjaro USB? It could be either a KDE or Gnome USB as I have both sticks, but when you boot into the Manjaro USB you are now in a Manjaro environment where I can post a problem in the forum.

1 Like