What are the differences of working in a terminal emulator among different desktop environments (DE) of Manjaro editions?

Hello everyone!

The question originates from the post How to check a user session type (Wayland / X11) you are using on Gnome, KDE - #9 by Hanzel :

The commands are DE agnostic so far.

Let’s jump from that topic’s purpose into a general question of working in a terminal emulator under different desktop environments (DEs).

Let’s skip questions about exact terminal emulator and exact command interpreter (sh/bash/zsh/fish) and go deep into work environment comparison of Manjaro OS copies having different DE editions: does they are the same from the point of view of terminal emulator’s environment?
How do I know which commands are present in all DE versions and which are DE-specific only and therefore are present only in a certain DE and are absent in all others?

For example I wrote a code, how can I predict that it will work on the other DE to get a value / to collect a data / or even will fail to execute and produces a run-time error?

So how to know does a command is universal for all DEs or has DE-specifics?

May be reworded again:
What’s the difference between all Manjaro OS DE editions from the terminal emulator work’s point of view?
How to predict that a code which was debugged and works under certain one DE, will work on any other desktop environment of Manjaro OS just the same and will have just the same output/result?

It is OS architecture-related question: what are the same parts, what are different.

Thank you!

By whether or not you wrote DE-agnostic code.
For example - using linux utilities instead of xfconf-query.
Did you use cp to copy files or specifically rely on nautilus ? etc …

None of which has anything to do with the terminal emulator really.

The whole topic question is that: how to recognize a code is DE-agnostic or not.

By not using DE-specific tools … like, IDK, dolphin, or kdebugdialog5

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Core_utilities

2 Likes

ah thank you. that cuts it quick.

What are thay for every DE?

See the link above … and for manjaro-specifics, here is a list of all the shared profiles/packages.
So it would be those and all the tools derived from those listed:

1 Like

Are they the only commands which are the same for all DEs or are there other so-called “non-core” commands which are also the same for all DEs?

:vampire: ?
:slight_smile: No, I post that topic to collect a complete answer not get only a some part of all abilities and to celebrate that partial incomplete info as solution :slight_smile: Sorry for the :vampire: which you gave me and which I appear to be. I want complete answer and understanding a vampire am I or not.

A terminal emulator emulates the console - there is no differences between Manjaro editions when it comes to that. The available commands depennds on the command line utilities installed.

If you want to know which packages are installed please look at the shared parts of the ISO profiles linked by @cscs.

For individual packages each profile contains a Packages-Desktop package list file.

You cannot predict whether or not some unknown part of a script is desktop specific.

Look at the package the script/command belongs to.

Then by looking at the said package’s dependencies you may get a hint.

One ;.; can ask more questions than ten wise men can answer

unsolvable and going nowhere