Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Hi there!
I’m Alex from Chile. I live in Mexico and I like everything concerning to IT, computers and technology. I’ve been using various Linux distros throughout my life: Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Debian, EndeavourOS, Puppy, PopOS! and Manjaro now. Since I don’t like the Gnome desktop very much, I switched to KDE, which I do prefer. I also like Xfce, but I think it needs to be a bit more polished out of the box. It’s my opinion. I hope I can stick around here in this community and learn more about Linux. Cheers!

Hey! Started using Linux almost 20 years ago with an Ubuntu distro, I think it was k-ubuntu. Later on moved to Linux Mint, then Netrunner (debian based) and new to Arch.

I never really liked overfeatured software (vim/neovim user here), I guess that is what I enjoyed the most when moving from Windows.

As most of you, I’ve also had to deal with some incompatibilities with my favorite games, but all in all it didn’t make me to turn back to Windows. Nowadays we’re lucky to have Proton, SteamOs and all that evolving ecosystem.

1 Like

Hi!

I started my linux journey around 2 years ago, slowly learning and having fun with VM’s. After about half a year I finally decided to take a leap of faith and go full linux, I installed manjaro, then changed to arco linux, then to xerolinux, and now over a year later I’m back to manjaro as I find it is the most “plug-and-play” arch distro with the least bloatware. I’m happy to be here and after lurking in this great, helpful community for over a year I feel right at home.

1 Like

Hello

I’ve been a sysadmin most of my professional life, started with Windows NT4 and 2000 but switched to Unix and Linux. I worked with RHEL, CentOS, FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, Ubuntu and so many other flavors among the years.

A couple of months back, I put Manjaro on my chromebook (never tried this flavor before) and everything worked immediately (keyboard backlight). The 5.19 kernel fixes some shutdown/reboot issue I got.
From there, I installed Manjaro on my 2013 iMac and never look back.

2 Likes

Hi I am new to Manjaro, new to Linux. I have been using Windows for 20 years, Mac OS for another 20 years.

I am not an IT expert , developer nor I have any formal training on computer science. I am just a passionate learner. I am retired so I have a bit of spare time to learn Linux.

I want to install Manjaro onto either an old Mac Mini (around 2014) or a Windows PC running Intel i5. I want to run it as a headless machine

Any suggestion whether Mac or Window PC hardware is better?

2 Likes

PC, all the way. I have seen way to many issues on here for Mac to be good. Mac is proprietary, so…no, just…no…

And welcome, BTW!

please create your thread for this question

Greetings everyone, I am Sergio Arana with Nicaraguan Realty and I am so happy with this great OS. We started using it on all our computers here at work and are very pleased with it. It is rock solid and very user friendly.

2 Likes

Impressed by reviews of manjaro + beelink SER4,
having loved the fun of Arch dox, decided to join…
especially in search of fanconfig files and saving
the new mini from running at 85C for 17 hours+.

Don’t worry! We’re not even upset about dual install
on ext/sda overstepping to nvme fstab & breaking boot.

We already fixed that problem again, much props to
our workers at Q&A dot com!

“Soon it will be cold enough”

–Brad

Hello there
I’m Neechee or Kakost, recently tried switching to manjaro after running linux mint for several years

1 Like

Hello everyone. I am impressed by the quality of Manjaro KDE and decided to become a supporter 5. Keep up the good work! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi all. I had an account like 3 years ago before but it was closed due to the forum’s breakdown irrc. I use Manjaro Gnome.

I have been wanting to learn how to use Linux and get away from Windows.
But did not know what version to use. My grandson, being more knowledgeable has recommended that I use Manjaro XFCE.
So I am learning and have installed it in virtual machine hard disk before I completely remove windows.
My windows 10 laptop has recently slowed way down that it takes 10 minutes to start up when it used to do it less than a minute. I’ve optimized the system. But didn’t seem to help.
I want to browse the internet or use a word processor like I did with windows. Being as I am 76 I’m not much on using the Terminal mode and commands.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard. :slight_smile: XFCE is perhaps the most Windows-like of the Linux desktop environments, so it’s a good choice for someone transitioning from Windows.

And while a terminal is often useful for configuring things (and, indeed, most everything one can do on a desktop, one could do in a terminal), modern Linux desktops allow most things to be done point-and-click. Web-browsing, email, watching videos, etc, don’t require terminals at all. (I recommend Thunderbird for email, Firefox for web, LibreOffice for word processing.)

I’ve been using Manjaro Linux for about 9 months now, myself. I started with Mate desktop, but switched to KDE Plasma 5 a few weeks ago because it’s more configurable. It meets all my needs.

I’m certainly not going back to Windows as primary OS; after years of struggle I finally got “sick and tired” of Windows in December '21 and made the switch to Linux. I found it surprisingly easy. Most problems can be solved with a simple Google search, and for those that can’t, I just come here and ask a few polite questions. I haven’t ran into anything that couldn’t be solved, so far.

So welcome to Linux Land, and enjoy your stay.

2 Likes

I am Ed. I’ve been using Linux in many different flavors, on and off over the years. There is always something I need help with though! :smiley:

I’m Tom. I’ve been in the Unix/Linux world professionally for 38 years. But this is my first time installing Linux on a home system for my personal use. I’d been hackintoshing for the past decade or so. But between Apple getting worse and worse for computing, and their abandomnent of intel, my hackintosh days are coming to an end.

Hello everyone! I’m Paul. Been using various Linux distros since 1999 or so. Started with Slack (CLI only), installed from 13 floppy disks onto an old Pentium system. Then on to Mandrake desktop on a newer PC. Had my 6 month love/hate affair with Gentoo, then chose Ubuntu as my daily driver and used it for many years. I banned Windows from my home around 2003 - my daughters were both raised on Linux (Mint, then Ubuntu).

About 9 months ago I decided to try out some more distros. I’m not here to put down other distros (they all have pros and cons) so let’s just say Manjaro is the best fit for me (for now). I even bought a Manjaro T-shirt, which is a very odd thing for me to do. :laughing:

I can humbly offer one solution for this. If all you really want to sync from your iPhone is photos, you can install “PhotoSync” on the iPhone and then configure it to sync photos to any SMB share that you want. I think the app costs $8 per year or something - a tiny price to pay to avoid Windows, IMHO.

Hello friends,
Been using Manjaro KDE for 6 months… Had no chance to complain… Manjaro saved my skin several times even when I f*d up. So installed it on everything I got (don’t laugh… even the calc and toaster)
I am glad to be here

1 Like

Yes… sir, deliberately debilitating power-user privileges has led a good chunk of people away from Sheeple OSes recently. I simply couldn’t stand Win OS or my Mojave VM any longer… had to break away!
Anyway welcome aboard

1 Like