Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

check the main page of the forum and search for HowTo. you can create your HowTo and share it.

will do … thanks! :+1:

Welcome, and thanks for your willingness to share!

Just keep this :point_down: in mind when making the HowTo:

1 Like

Hi,
I’d like to add some key words after the ranking - any suggestions?

Nope. None from me. And I don’t think you need to worry about that king of thing.

Hi Mirdarthos,
I’d like to post some Acer specific additions to install dual boot - basically extending:

I tried to open up a new tutorial (red +), but that did not work - any suggestions, where to post my stuff? (you may check contents, if you like …)

You should be able to add a comment with the specifics for your Acer hw.

1 Like

Hi. I’m Radoslav from Bulgaria.
I started using Linux in 2015 with Mint but in 2019 I moved to Arch bc I got sick of the constantly breaking packages for no reason of Mint, not to mention that anything Debian-based needs a library enema to make it run even a native linux game, let alone a game for Windows.
In the past 7 years I had dual boot with Windows but last month I got enough of Micro$hit’s crap (not having any rights on my own computer) and kicked Windows out of my computer forever. Now I have two installations of Arch - one with Cinnamon and one with KDE which is only meant to play ETS2 bc for some reason flipping doesn’t always work in Cinnamon and you can’t have a decent gameplay of ETS2 without flipping. But flipping does work in KDE, so I installed an Arch with KDE in the partition where Windows used to be.

I tried Manjaro twice (the plan was to have an Arch alternative just in case) and both times it broke my disk’s MBR, so for the time being I’ll restrain myself from using it, until that problem is fixed (if ever).

1 Like

Welcome y’all,

My name is Tymoteusz Damian Rutkowski known online as DerekTDR.
I am from III Republic of Poland :poland:
I’ve been using Manjaro i3 Community Edition for quite a few months in VM and I’ve got laptop a few days ago, so I installed it there.
My first Linux system I used was Debian when I was 6 years old (2010). I also used openSUSE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, KDE Neon, Deepin, Fedora, elementaryOS and so on. But my first ever OS was Windows XP. I’m glad that my dad taught me about Linux systems.

If someone ask what my avatar represents, it’s just a flag of the Polish Underground State.

Hi there, just installed Manjaro. Very elegant and easy process. I started with Ubuntu from 15, about a decade later I distro-hopped to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed for a bit, then Debian, then Arch. I decided to try Manjaro and so far things are basically great! Lovely distro!

What to say?

My name is Tracy.

I started using Linux in 2000, with KDE on Mandrake Linux.

I started working with Computers in the Mid 80s, as a programmer.

I’ve been using various Gnome on Debian/Ubuntu flavours since around 2008 2010, because I was very disappointed with the performance of my computers running KDE with the so called Semantic Desktop.

I installed Manjaro KDE 3 days ago after an 11 hour upgrade of Linux Mint Cinnamon to 21 left me with a somewhat broken desktop.

I suppose there’s lots more thing I can say, but it says keep it short.

2 Likes

Hello All,

My handle on the net is typically DangerousThing. I’m 64 years old and have been a computer programmer for a great deal of that time.

I’ve only used Manjaro for a couple weeks. Before I used Ubuntu on my home machines. Except for one laptop that I allow to run Windows.

I like making robots and electronic stuff.

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Dven. I use Manjaro Xfce4. Nice to be part off this forum. Hope to learn and contribute.

Thanks All

1 Like

Hi guys and gals. Joe here, Love Manjaro, installed a virtual machine to test it out. Looks like the most polished of Arch type distros I’ve seen. Been a Windows user my whole life but started loving Linux recently.

1 Like

Hi !
I’m Jules, 20 years old from France. Started with Xubuntu in 2010, I’ve tried quite a few distros but I’ve always used Ubuntu or some kind of Debian/Ubuntu based distro as my main OS. Recently I wanted to try something different, as Ubuntu became quite unstable and unreliable on my PC. So I’ve decided to give Manjaro a shot, I’m loving it so far !
I’ve choosed the Gnome version as the KDE one was not playing well with my old Nvidia card.
I think I’ve found my new distro of choice !

1 Like

Hi, Bastian here. I have been using Ubuntu and CentOS for many years, mostly Python, Fortran in the context of fluid dynamics on HPC.
I was very excited about switching to Manjaro, but having all sorts of issues with the installation of some basic software (GCC, spack packages, easybuild modules) makes me want to switch back to a more conservative repository right now.

I do appreciate all the effort in helping me out, but maybe Manjaro just isn’t the right repository for productivity.

Hi, Keith here.
Have been using Mint for a while, but been having problems installing newer versions on a DELL Workstation. Recently tried Manjaro and similar problems in that I wasn’t able to format my NVME Drive in Ext4. But Manjaro installer gave me the simple option of using BTRFS, and it installed perfectly. I look forward to my learning curve with Manjaro. Am happy enough using the Terminal, but my command knowledge is limited, so might be asking for help occasionally.

2 Likes

I’ve been happily using openSUSE Tumbleweed as my main Linux for the last 6 or 7 years. Lately I have been confronting the fact of my mortality since I’m now crowding the median age at death for American males. I started writing out instructions to my executrix for starting and updating Tumbleweed which quickly got into tldr territory. My life and tax situation are sufficiently complicated and the fact that credit card companies and utilities pretty much force you to accept only pdf bills these days will make it imperative that she is able to run my computer for several months at least and keep it updated for safety. Tumbleweed needs lots of attention, is best updated from runlevel 3 and does experience some occasional breakage. Explaining all of that convinced me that it is time to simplify things.

I’ve installed Arch a number of times so that holds no terrors for me but it would have many of the same problems as Tumbleweed. I considered Ubuntu or one of its many children. This is a somewhat attractive option since my executrix is likely to be able to find an expert in Ubuntu or (at least Debian) if things should go terribly wrong. The downside is that they’ve gone crazy with snaps, which I don’t see the point of for my situation. Also, the LTS version (which I would be forced to use) gets sadly out-of-date quickly and would be dead boring to me. This would be even more true of the many Debian based distros and the new Red Hat clones. I probably will not be around much longer but I’m not looking to be bored to death.

Manjaro being a curated Arch suggests itself as a resonable solution. I can stay fairly close to the leading edge with some assurance that there will not be some terrible breakage the day after I croak. Btrfs and snapshots are something I’m used to and are nice to find here. The GNOME implementation looks fine and is familiar feeling to me. I added one of the menu extensions to comfort Windows users (I’ll never use it), and put everything important on the dash-to-dock. I think this will be less terrifying to Ms. Executrix and keep me at least reasonably entertained.

I’m also taking the opportunity to refresh this machine (which I built 3 ½ years ago) by removing the rotating rust and replacing the original nvme with one twice as large and adding two 2 tb ssds (the cheap ones with SLC cache since they are for long-term storage and speed isn’t the first consideration). These things are now remarkably inexpensive, particularly for someone who remembers being thrilled at the chance to spend well more than twice as much for a 32 megabyte Big Foot 5 ¼ inch hard drive

1 Like

Greeting to all!
After years and testing with Deepin, i returned to Manjaro. :kissing_smiling_eyes:
I hope to always stay there. By now i’m sick of changing/trying distros.

2 Likes

Started with XFCE4 around 2016. Switched to Ubuntu 18.04 the next year, discovered that Ubuntu is based on Debian (switched there and tried to roll a Debian distribution), then I discovered Arch. Been distro-hopping for a while now, but I kind of like Manjaro… Maybe I will stay keep Manjaro on my PC.

I have this on my smaller HDD, with Windows 10 on my larger HDD (for software and gaming, still don’t much care for Windows)

2 Likes