Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Hi I’m Elijah. This is my second time giving Manjaro a chance, and it’s not going as well as it could be. I still think Windows is better for GUIs. I have Manjaro fully installed on my old laptop, and am setting it up for my parents, but I encountered a bug and because I can’t upload images I have to write this post which wastes my time as well as whoever reads this. Not to mention, this only makes Manjaro less friendly towards new comers. Oh and while I was writing this introduction, I was logged out of my account. Thankfully, I’m not an idiot, and I inspect element deleted that modal so I can keep typing. I will refresh this page when I want to, not when you want me to! Thanks guys, I really feel welcomed in this community. If you can’t tell, I am very salty, but that’s why I run Windows on my new laptop and Linux on my old laptop, so that I’m not forced to be frustrated and I can walk away at any point in time. Oh and it turns out I can’t post links in my posts either. Great job Discourse and Manjaro forum. 2022 is truly the time of Linux lol

Hi everyone, my name is Sal aka Isildur (big LOTR fan) dabbled around in linux back in early 2000s was not ready for daily use yet, so went back ti windows. after the horror show that is win 11 i decided its time to move on from windows. so here i am testdriving a bunch of distros. but I have to say manjaro is by far the best.

Hi, I’m Sebenco. I’m a wannabe graphic designer/artist who has been using Windows for the past God knows how long. I like the idea of using Linux, but because of my workflow and familiarity (and general compatibility) with products on Windows tend to stick more to that platform, although I do have a dual boot on this computer and a second project PC running Manjaro as well. The first distro I tried was ubuntu, like probably everybody else, but now find myself gravitating to Manjaro every time I want to give Linux another go simply because it’s the most consistent and reliable distro I’ve come across.

I am not very well versed in a lot of stuff and get confused easily (especially when I’ve expected to understand Linux fairly well on other forums), but also for some reason am constantly in need of doing things in Linux (or stuff in general) that seem to have little to no demand. I’ve also had terrible luck in general with Linux not wanting to install, not including drivers once installed (but are there on the live disk), or just bricking itself for no good reason. I’m basically a living, breathing vessel of bad luck for any Linux installation.

Besides that I am a pretty large believer in open source software and have always wanted to engage more with the things I believe in. I have a general interest in taking apart electronics to try fixing them and despite being a PC gamer primarily have a deep interest in game controllers/gamepads to the point where I want to make an open source controller.

Hi everyone, I’m Chris. I started off back in the 90’s with Slackware and distro-hopped quite a bit before landing on a triple boot of Manjaro, Mint and Win11. Only reason I keep Windows around anymore is so I can sync my iphone.
I’m a chronic tinkerer in most aspects of life and love playing with Linux on a daily basis. My next goal is to mess with a Pinephone and am looking forward to it!
Anyway, nice to meet everyone !
Chris

4 Likes

Been on here a little while now but would just like to say thanks and hi to all you.

Greetings from (at the moment not so) dark & cold Finland :wave:

Just installed Manjaro w/ KDE the other day, and now trying to make this look & behave the way I like - so far been rather happy with the experience! :slight_smile:

Before this I have lately mostly used Debian/Ubuntu (+CentOS), but have been curious about Arch (and its offspring/relatives) for a while and here we are.

Have a great day everyone!

-Petri

3 Likes

Started messing around with Ubuntu Focal Fossa at mid-2021 under a Windows VM just to see what it can do, at the end of 2021 I then Flashed Ubuntu MATE on to a GPD Pocket 2 that I use for school work, at June 2022 I installed Manjaro to my desktop leading up to the present where I install Manjaro to the previously mentioned GPD pocket 2.

1 Like

I started using Linux in 1998 with Mandrake and have used tons of different distros since then until I settled on Manjaro Plasma a few days ago, for many good reasons. I am glad to be part of this community!

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m new to the community. I just installed Manjaro on a couple of laptops, and I think I’m going to convert most of them over to it now.

-Justin

1 Like

Today, I join Manjaro family as a linux rookie.

1 Like

Hi,
I am looking back to an IT career of roundabout 50 years, mainly at very large enterprises in very different areas. That inspires me to the statement I know nothing about everything … At the beginning of my career I was used to unix like systems, was then forced to MS based office environments. Having ended my professional career a while ago gave me time again to play around wit linux based systems (Ubuntu, Mint, Raspian, …). Now Manjaro seems to be the platform I like most :slight_smile: But it gave me a hard time to get it properly installed at my Acer laptops (it took weeks of research and try and error cycles). I finally stumbled upon a posting of a guy, who described exactly the same issues, I was facing and he hinted to a Acer specific description, which finally led to success. I joined this forum to give a little bit back of the tremendous support, I found in a huge number of platforms like this and share my experience to help hopefully other people, who might face the same issues as I.
Harald (a German)

3 Likes

well you like it the hard way :laughing:

yeah, but it gives an extremely good feeling after one finally succeeded :grin:
Where’s the best place to drop a description, on how to install Manjaro on Acer HW? Main issue was that the hint Disable Secure Boot leads to the wrong direction in that case …

check the main page of the forum and search for HowTo. you can create your HowTo and share it.

will do … thanks! :+1:

Welcome, and thanks for your willingness to share!

Just keep this :point_down: in mind when making the HowTo:

1 Like

Hi,
I’d like to add some key words after the ranking - any suggestions?

Nope. None from me. And I don’t think you need to worry about that king of thing.

Hi Mirdarthos,
I’d like to post some Acer specific additions to install dual boot - basically extending:

I tried to open up a new tutorial (red +), but that did not work - any suggestions, where to post my stuff? (you may check contents, if you like …)

You should be able to add a comment with the specifics for your Acer hw.

1 Like