Welcome and introduce yourself - 2022

Well, I had been using EndeavourOS. NVidia drivers wouldn’t let me get to the desktop and had to be downgraded, and the 5.16 kernel wouldn’t boot.

Came back to Manjaro. I’ll take my Arch curated.

1 Like

I am somewhat of a newbie --I’d say I am an advance beginner-- who’s always been very interested in computers but never really learned to much more than basic things on a GUI. I got into linux/GNU in general because I didn’t have any money left for windows after I built my first PC. At the time, I just wanted to be able to watch all my movies and tv shows without my old laptop over heating and crashing, so a friend suggest Ubuntu; I ran that for 5 years, barely turning it off and never updating it, I was impressed that I never had an issue. Now, after building my second computer I went with Manjaro and am eager to really get to know the linux kernel and am excited to explore!

Don’t do this with Manjaro. You’ll be sorry if you try.

Oh I know, I update it at least every couple weeks to every few months.

Every few months is doable, but I don’t recommend it. I recommend keeping an eye on the #announcements for the updates, and performing them as they’re released.

Much less can go wrong that way.

6 posts were split to a new topic: What are the advantages or disadvantages to using Manjaro instead of Ubuntu-based distros?

Hi,
I am relatively new to Linux as a desktop. But the crappiness of the alternatives and the greatness of Manjaro KDE (despite some difficulties, for which I came here to find help) does not make me want to ever go back. Before I bought my Tuxedo laptop some weeks ago, I used my Raspberry Pi and a debian VPS to host my discord bot. So I know some shell basics and programming, but still feel like an ambitious newbie…

I’ve been using a few of the Ubuntu flavors since 11.10. i decided to put manjaro KDE on my pi3 and pi3+. I like it, so far

I’ve been using Linux for many years. I have to admit being a bit of a distro switcher, as I like to try new distros on the older hardware I run, in an attempt to find a way to breathe life into the world that Microsoft and Apple long forgot. I have one daily driver though: a celeron 3050 2GB/32GB laptop that manjaro Xfce resurrected. I’ve become somewhat of a fanboy for Manjaro, as a result. I’m hoping my contributions in these forums will help others find the same old laptop nirvana, thanks to the hard working folks that made manjaro what it is.

Hello there!

I’m a long time homelab owner. I have a bit of experience in running apps like Nextcloud or Matrix-Synapse etc. on my linux server. Now, to make my infrastructure all-linux i’d like to switch from Windows to linux on my thinkpad. Thats why i came here to get some good howtos and support.
My friend recommended me Manjaro, which i think has a lot of really good features (like AUR, snap and flatpak). In addition to that it is developed in Europe which makes it trustworthy to me in terms of pricacy.

Cheers,
Michael

I’m think, and hoping, you mean privacy. Because, if not, I have absolutely no idea what you mean…

Oh boy, that’s a bad typo. Yeah, it’s meant to be privacy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys, I am a Mac user and I want to install Linux on my MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, I tried some distros and I chose Manjaro, but I have several problems. I hope to find help in this forum! Thanks to all. Bye

Hi everyone! My name is Adam, but known online as Jughead88. I stared using Windows 95 back in the days. When XP went out, I wanted to try something new, so I started using Mandriva Linux in 2004. Since then, I only used Windows again in dual-boot for school or job. Tried almost every distro, from Suse and Fedora, to Ubuntu and Mint. I started using Manjaro from the beginning when I was in University with the XFCE version. Now I am using Gnome version as my main driver and I don’t think I will change soon. Good job guys!!

Hi! I’m Jing, New to linux ,I’ve been using Manjaro with KDE Plasma for two weeks,and I absolutely love it
Many thanks.

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I’m Arthur
I’m started my history with linux with distros from Debian family.
At December, I decided to switch to Manjaro to my daily use distro, and except a few issue, it’s a great OS
Thanks to all!

3 Likes

Used windows most of my life. Finally permanently switched to linux about 4 to 5 months ago. Started with ubuntu, but made the switch to manjaro because I wanted to take advantage of a rolling-release distro with good community support.

3 Likes

Hi all. I’ve been using linux since 1999 for both work and personal use. Checking out Manjaro. I’ve used Arch, Gentoo, RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu in the past.

1 Like

I learned computing using DOS, so the command line never scared me. I moved to Windows, but did use UNIX some in college. I then moved to full-time linux in 2018, starting out using Ubuntu. I moved to Manjaro because I liked the rolling release concept and not having to do massive updates every two years.

3 Likes

Hi all :slight_smile:
My name is James and only recently got into not using Windows sometime last year as I didn’t want to spend the money on a new windows license for my new laptop lol. I had a fair few issues even trying to load the Live USB for any distro whether it was Ubuntu, Fedora etc. Found out my laptop needs kernel parameters pci=noats acpi_backlight=vendor to work. Ended up with Garuda Dragonized for a fair bit, learnt a lot then filesystem got corrupted and couldn’t be repaired (not sure what from) so now trying Manjaro XFCE :slight_smile: Already couldn’t boot it to start but @megavolt was able to help so hopefully onto less issues…maybe? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes