Welcome and introduce yourself - 2020

I’m glad i’m not the only one infuriated with Windows 10, i always loved Windows 7, it was so stable and easy to use i’ve never had any issues with Windows 7, but Windows 10 on the other hand is disgusting.

Microsoft plays with my personal data like a child’s toy, in 2014 they fired 18.000 employees plus the testers and thrown Windows 10 to us consumers test a perma beta product that’s in perpetual experimentation, after such horrible i despise this company and wanna see them burn down to the ground, i’m done with Microsoft and they won’t get anymore money from me.

Windows 7 was special to me, i loved it so much but this cursed company managed to ruin what i loved the most about Windows, someday they will pay dearly for such atrocity.

1 Like

Win7 was relatively stable, compared to previous versions, but was rather slow and did eventually fall over, in a state which I decided was beyond economical repair, even after quite careful maintenance from the outset, which in fact did allow the system to keep running for several years.

All I did was plug my scanner in. :roll_eyes: :roll_of_toilet_paper:

That is when I switched to Linux, initially Mint, which I’d been experimenting with for a short while beforehand (a matter of days at the most).

Never looked back! … :stuck_out_tongue: → MS Win10 ← :face_vomiting::innocent:

3 Likes

Hello, Manjaro guys and gals!

I switched, from Win 10, to Debian in March 2018. After a couple of months I switched to Manjaro and I’ve never looked back (or sideways). Started with the XFCE version but for the last year+ I’ve been on i3wm and LOVE it.

To me, as a non-Linux native, it has been a somewhat time-consuming challenge to get used to Linux. But it has been very rewarding. There are still loads that I don’t understand though. Hence I feel very grateful having this forum where I can ask for help.

A big thanks to all that do contribute, and a thanks to the Manjaro Team for driving Manjaro forward!

7 Likes

Hello everyone,

i am 50ish and started in computing in the early 90s.
My beginnings were with the C64. I never got a disk drive and instead had the cassette machine.
After, i got a Amiga 500 and later an A2000 with acceleration card.
At that time i actually had my own BBS system. An aspect that was really great in so many ways.
Then, in the late 90s i got into the PC.
And there it is.
Mostly a Windows user for the rest of my time. I still use Windows and the main reason is gaming. Though, today i do not game as much anymore.
My start with Linux i got in 97, i believe with Suse. Lots of stumbling blocks to overcome. I think my main problem was the internet. I did not get a connection.
I used mainly OpenSuse for awhile but had my start with Manjaro 2 releases back. At that time i had problems with my printer. This release solved that.
I have to say, that Manjaro is actually not hard to use.
Now, i set my self up with Alpine as my email and with that i have so many nostalgic feelings. I tried Mutt but to be honest, its complicated.
Now i just enjoy a working system. Thanks for this great distribution.

Currently i reside in California but i am originally from Germany.
I am also into turntables again. So i am personally going backwards i have to guess.
On top of that, i have 3 cats and married.

Thanks for reading

5 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m not new to Manjaro, my forum account vanished in unexplained circumstances. However, I’m pretty pleased to be here with you again!

3 Likes

Welcome back!

Seems you were gone for a longer time :wink: Check out this Welcome to the new Manjaro Forum to see what happened.

3 Likes

I everyone!
I’m new in this forum and I have not installed Manjaro in my pc yet.
For the moment only in a Virtual machine, I’m quite new with Linux and still testing, but i love it.
See you soon

1 Like

be honest, are they your cats-in-law?

2 Likes

Hi there,

I’ve toyed with Linux for the past number of years. Nowhere near an experienced user, but learning. Distro hopped for a long while and now have settled and a Manjaro base using mostly application Flatpaks. I like the current base and stability that Manjaro offers while liking the lower risk of software interactions causing issues by using Flatpaks. I’m trying to keep things simple from an upkeep standpoint for myself.

Glad to join the club!

6 Likes

Hi all. I am Jason, I am a professional writer/freelance journalist based in the Pacific Northwest in the United States. I have been poking around with Linux for a couple of years: Ubuntu and Mint didn’t really take. I did try Clear Linux for a while, but as soon as I tried Manjaro it stuck. I was running side by side with OSX for a while but around two months ago I switched to Linux only and I couldn’t be happier. I run Gnome or XFCE depending on hardware.

Professionally I write in Markdown and convert when necessary with Pandoc/Tex. I live in Sublime Text but am thinking about shifting to VSCodium. I also slip into RStudio, ReText, Standard Notes or Nano for some purposes. Todour, jrnl and Evolution keep me organized. Syncthing, Tresorit, Standard Notes are my redundant backup/sync solutions. Brave is my favored browser until Firefox irons out some of its problems. I would love it if there was a FOSS PDF reader that was as good as Foxit.

Anyway, I am enjoying being able to optimise and organize my own system for my own professional needs. Next time I have some time off I will try out Manjaro Architect and see if I can slim things down even further.

See you in the forums!

9 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Nacho. I recently joined the forum but I’ve been inside Manjaro for a year now. I use the official Gnome version. Haven’t tried any of the other official versions, nor any of the community flavors yet (although they look very interesting).
See you around…

7 Likes

Hi, I’m willy from São Paulo - Brazil.
I use linux since the CEO of microsoft said in a interview back in 2013 that they would pursuit the metro interface because that was the future and bla bla bla. I revolted and started my transition to linux with Mint. I had a misconception that a distro based on other was inferior so I went to ubuntu and later tried debian.

Distrohopped until I managed to install arch. I broke arch several times with my excessive tinkering so I searched for something more easy to setup. It was 2016 and Manjaro was having some troubles with certificates so I went with Antergos.

Then Antergos died :pensive:, I could return to arch but I have a different view on KISS philosophy: Simple isn’t minimal. For example I believe Manjaro architect is more simple to setup then arch and any official flavor is more simple for a beginner than both. Enjoy the simplicity :wink:

I still use windows for games, not because Linux doesn’t have them but because it is more easy for me. BTW I don’t work in IT, my skills are very limited so I contribute by being a tester in the unstable branch.

8 Likes

hello everyone, very new linux user, old soul trying to learn linux and how to be self reliant in maintaining an OS. Sorry ahead of time if I don’t go about things correctly. I do commit however to try and research thoroughly before just posting my issues, and will give my best attempt to provide all data to not waste anyones time as I understand it’s value.

Respectfully,
dbcupr

7 Likes

Hello everyone,

I bring another new member to the forum.
I’m from Germany and a student (Mathematics now and Computer Sciences later).

I’m using Linux for just 4 years now(since 2016). At first it was Fedora and in 2018 I switched to Manjaro. Haven’t regretted that move since.

It is a true joy working with Manjaro(and getting in touch with Arch a bit more every year). Especially because both communities provide such great resources to learn more and more about Linux.

I am still new to Linux (and I would have never dared touch a command line before 2015), so I won’t be a big help at first(though I am always happy if I can help someone). Until then I’ll stick to asking and just strolling in the forums to hopefully pick up a few things.

Hope we’ll have a great time together XD

7 Likes

Hi there! Long-time member of the Arch world, since about 2011 after a switch from Mint. It was the rolling-releases that drew me in, and I remember being mad that I couldn’t get the latest release of Python on Mint. I managed a Manjaro system specifically on a student lounge computer when I was a member of my university’s CS student society, and many other students followed suit with their own machines.

I’m also the author of the Aura Package Manager and am currently porting it to Rust.

Nice to meet you all!

12 Likes

Hello! new member of Manjaro here! ( i apologize for some of my probable grammar mistakes, english isn’t my first language ^^)

i installed this distro just a month ago and im already loving it!
I have some experience with linux based distros like mint and ubuntu, i still have a lot to learn for arch based distros though and that’s why im here!
I’ll do my best to give as many accurate details as possible to avoid misunderstandings.

Hope you guys have a great day!
-Mr.Backup

11 Likes

Hi All!

I’ve been a very bad boy! I didn’t spend time reading everyone’s introductions. :sweat_smile:
Well, if that makes me the only one, so be it. However, I don’t think I am. I DO think I’m the only one to admit it though.

I hail from South Africa. Yep I checked and it looks like I’m the only South African to have introduced myself.

I love Linux! Have always done! Been using various distributions for about ~15+ years now. Finally came across Manjaro last year. Installed it. Removed Windows partition. Didn’t look back. Still love it. Can honestly not say I know, or even just understand, why people stick to Windows any more. I suspect it’s the RC factor.

I use and love Ubuntu (the LTS versions) for anything server related. Came from Ubuntu desktop to Manjaro, and, oh my, what an absolute joy it’s been!

I love the fact that installation (and using it) is so simple. And yet, the whole system is so powerful! I used Gentoo for a while (Oh boy! That kernel compile took its sweet time, too. And it took forever to download on Dial-Up…)

So, I knew the customization power was there, I just didn’t like or want to go through that again. But it was already months and years ahead in package management. I didn’t have the dependency hell that Linux was known for. Which I couldn’t be bothered with.

So I went back to windows (again.) I ended up as a systems administrator, where I inherited absolute chaos. Left in chaos, too. Albeit less chaos than I inherited. Converted all the servers to Ubuntu Server, some from Mandriva, some from Windows Server.) but stayed on my Windows workstation.

After that I worked as a Web Developer but I kept my Windows desktop. My knowledge of Linux made me very popular with our sister company’s administrator.

Lately, life has thrown me all kinds of curve balls and I am unable to work as previously. But, despite now being wheelchair bound, I still advocate for Linux.

Last year, I decided to move to Ubuntu, mostly because, IIRC, Windows licensing fees. About a month later, I came across Manjaro, and started digging more. I liked what I saw, so decided to give it a go!

Man! Am I glad I did! This has been nothing short of an absolutely wonderful, breathtaking, awesome experience!

I’m hoping I can give, at least, something back to the community in general and the developers specifically for the awesomeness that is Manjaro!

So, hi all! It’s me from South Africa!!

22 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m from Argentina and have been using Manjaro for a month now after half a year with Linux Mint and before that Ubuntu and Fedora.
All in an old laptop i haven’t used in years and it’s working amazing!
So yeah hello to all!

10 Likes

Hi everyone I am from Darwin Australia ,my wife and my parents and i are grey no madding around Australia living the dream in a tent and caravan as we say here in the lucky country lol Ive been using Manjaro for 3 weeks now after tinkering with linux mint a few years ago.And looking for an alternative to windblows it was time to take the leap .I love this O.S i am slowly learning how to use it with help from the Gurus on this forum.I have even converted my 80 year old dad to Manjaro lol feel free to follow our journey on facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100034654624645

11 Likes

Hello! My name is Asdrubal and I’m new to Manjaro although I’m not new to Linux since I have been using it since at least ten years ago!

I’m from Venezuela, but right now living in Argentina :slight_smile: Looking forward to contribute to this community

14 Likes