Weird problem updating Firefox on Manjaro via `pacman -Syyu`

I got a strange error “You’re running an out of date version of the script” running pacman -Syyu (which reported Firefox had to updated)

:: Synchronising package databases... core 169.2 KiB 564 KiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100% extra 2038.1 KiB 2.10 MiB/s 00:01 [##############################################] 100% community 6.2 MiB 3.67 MiB/s 00:02 [##############################################] 100% multilib 193.0 KiB 11.1 MiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100% chaotic-aur 1427.5 KiB 856 KiB/s 00:02 [##############################################] 100% :: Starting full system upgrade... resolving dependencies... looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) firefox-82.0-0.1

Total Download Size: 57.83 MiB
Total Installed Size: 207.58 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.80 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages…
firefox-82.0-0.1-x86_64 57.8 MiB 761 KiB/s 01:18 [##############################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [##############################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [##############################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [##############################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [##############################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [##############################################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks…
(1/1) Remove Firefox Distribution Settings
:: Processing package changes…
(1/1) upgrading firefox [##############################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks…
(1/5) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…
(2/5) Copy Firefox Distribution Settings
(3/5) Updating icon theme caches…
(4/5) Fixing hardcoded icons…
You’re running an out of date version of
the script. Please download the latest
verison from the GitHub page or update
via your package manager. If you continue
without updating you may run into problems.
Please answer [e]xit or [c]ontinue

The line “Please answer [e]xit or [c]ontinue” continues endlessly filling up the screen.

I had to Ctrl+C to get through the message. Firefox though has indeed been updated to version 82, and the system seems to be working okay.

But is there anything I should be concerned about or any action to take to avoid such errors in future ?

Thank you,
Manish Jain

Hi, (pacman -Syyu) Force synchronization and update packages
You don’t normally use pacman -Syu to update your system?

it seems you installed GitHub - Foggalong/hardcode-fixer: Fixes Hardcoded Icons manualy or from AUR.
and add a pacman hook for it… it’s this script that complain about a new version available.
I don’t know how you got it… so…

edit: it seems manjaro use it… @philm package it… maybe it need a rebuild… or your system is not up-to-date as it seems I have it and don’t have this issue…
my version of hardcode-fixer is as below

pacman -Qi hardcode-fixer
Name            : hardcode-fixer
Version         : 1:r543.0321910-1
Description     : Fixes Hardcoded Icons
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://github.com/Foggalong/hardcode-fixer
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : bash
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 11.09 KiB
Packager        : Philip Mueller <philm@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Sun 06 Sep 2020 10:01:27 AM CEST
Install Date    : Sun 06 Sep 2020 03:37:19 PM CEST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature
1 Like

Hi Pablo/scachemaille,

Thanks for your replies.

I always update my system with pacman -Syyu, which currently reports no updates applicable.

My system is GPT+UEFI dual-boot (Manjaro 5.4 + Windows 10; rEFInd is the bootloader).

The problem is deeper than I originally conceived and is a consequence of restoring Manjaro from backup incorrectly. Yesterday, I had to reinstall Windows 10 which had run out of disk space. So I backed up my Manjaro, reinstalled Windows 10 (formatting the ESP), and then got to the task of restoring Manjaro from backup.

What I did for restore is installed Manjaro 5.6 (my original installation is kernel 5.4) to get all the boot files. Then from a live shell, I did an rsync from my backup to my / partition, and then ran grub-install. I made some mistake somewhere, and I started getting this error.

scachemaille is likely quite right. I reinstalled hardcode-fixer, and now the problem has indeed gone away. So thanks a lot !