Warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf ‘SyncFirst’ in section ‘options’ not recognised

getting this warning when running sudo pacman -Fy etc.

warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 20: directive ‘SyncFirst’ in section ‘options’ not recognised.

Yes I do know why it’s there but why does pacman not know?

Are you sure?

Are you up to date? pacman 6.1.0-7 should make that disappear automatically. :wink:

Yes I am and it did not change /etc/pacman.conf but this is a new build so perhaps the build system is not updated?
Made A new ROM today and just checked and /etc/pacman.conf still has the sync line

Just done sudo pacman -S pacman

warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 20: directive 'sync first' in section 'options' not recognised. warning: pacman-6.1.0-7 is up to date -- reinstalling resolving dependencies... looking for conflicting packages...

Someone should tell @philm the correct word is “deprecated”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, was kind of hoping to see how many tens of users will cry about that warning in the next announcement thread. :cry: Would be good for pacnew awareness. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The point is it does not work, as stated above, and yes I do have pacman 6.1.0-7
Just searched for pacman.install, from root, and it was not found.

Found it I think I downgraded pacman to 6.1.0-3 and got the pacnew file change it over and on update saw Removing depreciated SyncFirst line from pacman.conf file … this does not appear to work with 6.1.0-7 if the sync line is there.
Yes if the sync line is there 6.1.0-7 just gives a warning and does not remove it.

@Yochanan

If other users have this error they should be able to remove SyncFirst from configuration with sed commands from the commit

sudo sed -i -e '/# If upgrades are available for these packages they will be asked for first/d' /etc/pacman.conf`
sudo sed -i -e '/SyncFirst/d' /etc/pacman.conf
1 Like

I think you just did. :laughing:

English is my native language and I only figured out the difference between deprecated and depreciated not too long ago myself, so don’t be too hard on a Deutschsprachiger (if I translated it properly).

5 Likes

the bottom line is for whatever reason 6.1.0-7 does not remove sync line if present
should it? does it need to be fixed?

Should be handled just as any other config change – with merging a pacnew.

Anyway, problem is in

if (( $(vercmp $2 6.1.0-6) < 0 )); then

This will only be true if previous pacman version is less than 6.1.0-6.

So it will work just fine for stable. Anyone else should know enough to be able to handle it manually.