Vulkan cannot use dedicated radeon graphics card

Hello,
While playing a game through Lutris I noticed that the game is not able to use my dedicated radeon graphics card.

It is detected and can be used via DRI_PRIME=1 for other applications:

~ >>> inxi -G                                                                                                                                          
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: AMD Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M / R7 M370] driver: radeon
    v: kernel
  Device-3: Intel RealSense 3D Camera (Front F200) driver: uvcvideo
    type: USB
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.10 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting,radeon dri: iris,radeonsi gpu: i915
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: iris,radeonsi,swrast
    platforms: x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 23.1.9-manjaro1.1
    renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 520 (SKL GT2)
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.274 drivers: intel surfaces: xcb,xlib

However, even though vulkan-radeon and lib32-vulkan-radeon are installed the API above does not detect it and running vulkaninfo gives an error message about an incompatible driver:

>>> vulkaninfo                                                                                                                                       
ERROR: [../mesa-23.1.9/src/amd/vulkan/radv_physical_device.c:2160] Code 0 : Device '/dev/dri/renderD128' is not using the AMDGPU kernel driver: Invalid argument (VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER)
==========
VULKANINFO
==========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.3.274

even using a solution mentioned in the arch wiki does not help. I have to admit that I only exported it in the terminal and run vulkaninfo right afterwards. However it is not able to properly use the amd card:

>>> export DISABLE_LAYER_AMD_SWITCHABLE_GRAPHICS_1=1     
>>> vulkaninfo                                                                                                                                       
ERROR: [../mesa-23.1.9/src/amd/vulkan/radv_physical_device.c:2160] Code 0 : Device '/dev/dri/renderD128' is not using the AMDGPU kernel driver: Invalid argument (VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER)
==========
VULKANINFO
==========

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.3.274

Using the the icd loader files explicitly even screws up vulkaninfo even more:

>>> export DISABLE_LAYER_AMD_SWITCHABLE_GRAPHICS_1=1     
>>> VK_ICD_FILENAMES="/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json" vulkaninfo                        
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : setup_loader_term_phys_devs:  Failed to detect any valid GPUs in the current config
ERROR at /usr/src/debug/vulkan-tools/Vulkan-Tools-1.3.269/vulkaninfo/./vulkaninfo.h:237:vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Does anyone have an idea how to set vulkan and a dedicated radeon gpu up properly?

Perhaps you can get some clues at AMDGPU - ArchWiki

I have no experience with this but it could be because Manjaro does not provide some patented codecs with the mesa package.

:point_down:

Does that mean that vulkan-radeon is not the vulkan driver for the radeon driver?
That is confusing and misleading for me… :sweat_smile:

Anyways, I will give that a try and report back afterwards.

Amazing that did the trick.
I just had to install the amdgpu-experimental via pamac, reboot and it works now.

Thank you for pointing that out! For some reason that thread did not come up in my searches :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.