Volume is either max or muted on new install

Hi all.
I have just installed Manjaro Gnome on a Lenovo Yoga pro 7 and it’s mostly good, but I can’t get the volume controls to work. Both changing the volume slider with the keyboard shortcuts or from the panel in the top right changes the slider position but the volume is either maximum or muted regardless of the slider position.
Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea how to fix the GUI Slider in gnome (KDE user here), but as a work around till anyone give you maybe a proper solution… i can recommend to use alsamixer and control your volume from there.

You can also create 1-4 bash scripts (to restore Alsamixer settings) on your desktop with different volume percentage’s.

Let me know if you need additional help to set up the bash scripts.

Thanks for the reply.
I don’t have alsamixer installed and I don’t see it in manjaro repositories.

I can’t get the webcam or the microphone to work either.
Weird, all this works on my old thinkpad x260 right out of the box so to speak, is it because of newer unsupported hardware?

alsamixer is owned by package alsa-utils, that is usually included in all Manjaro distributions

Gnome users can also install gnome-alsamixer to check/adjust ALSA mixer controls

alsa-utils also provides alsa-info.sh script to gather more information to debug audio devices

sudo alsa-info.sh

Thanks for the replies but I think I’m going to send it back as there is quite a lot not working, probably be better off getting something a bit older for running Linux on.

That’s long dead and was dropped from the Arch repos to the AUR in 2019 for a reason. :wink:

1 Like

Just a hint, Tuxedo (company in germany, but they also give official support in English) had pretty good Linux Laptop’s btw specially the Intel Laptops with Hardware Privacy switches (Disable Microphone/Webcam/TPM/IMEI). System76 are selling Linux Laptops also :wink:

Lenovo Yoga Pro 7 14APH8 - ArchWiki

This laptop has 4 speakers: 2 tweeter and 2 woofer, by default only the tweeters work.

The volume switch only on-off, to correct that you can edit:

/usr/share/alsa-card-profile/mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common

[Element Master] 
switch = mute
volume = ignore

From kernel 6.6.7 this workaround are not necessary due this kernel patch officially merged:
[PATCH] ALSA: hda/realtek: Add quirk for Lenovo Yoga Pro 7 - Takashi Iwai

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies.
It’s on a 14 day return policy so I think I’m going to exchange it for a Yoga 9i.
My partner has the same laptop (Yoga 9i) and I’ve booted that from live usb and everything works flawlessly (gestures, touch screen, device rotation, speakers, camera, mic, even the stylus). It’s not as suitable for gaming but I’m ok with that as really I was only hoping to dual boot with Windows to be able to once again play Roblox with my daughters. The 9i will most likely do for just occasional Roblox on Windows, and everything else I need on Linux.

ALSA developers released a patch for Lenovo Yoga 9i (gen 9) systems recently

[PATCH 6.6 082/114] ALSA: hda/realtek: Add quirk for Lenovo Yoga 9 14IMH9 - Greg Kroah-Hartman
The speakers on the Lenovo Yoga 9 14IMH9 are similar to previous generations
such as the 14IAP7, and the bass speakers can be fixed using similar methods
with one caveat: 14IMH9 uses CS35L41 amplifiers which need to be activated
separately.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.