VMware - again, again

Why does everything about Manjaro have to be so complicated and cause a major headache [Sigh].

I have Vmware Player in Linux Mint, and guess what? It works just fine - every time, updates and all. Same for Windows (sorry, that’s supposed to be Windoze). But in Manjaro, no way! It has to be complicated. 'You need Linux headers for your kernel version’, I am told. Fair enough. In Mint these are installed automatically with every kernel upgrade. So I download and manage to install the header for my kernel version (5.10.36-2). I reboot expecting success this time, but alas, when firing up Vmware Player the GUI loads OK, but it’s the same old story with the vmon error message displayed once again when trying to run my VM.

Then to cut a long story short, by luck rather than judgement, someone in some obscure thread on Vmware mentioned an important command in addition to the Linux-header installation for Manjaro. And this is it Just run the command sudo modprobe -a vmw_vmci vmmon and finally my VM loads without error. Of course this only works for a session. Reboot my PC and I’m back to square one. So I just run this command and I’m up and running again.

Maybe there’s a way of automating things so I don’t have to keep running this command with each new Vmware session, but It’s a small price to pay, compared to the gigantic time-wasting period of trying to find a simple solution to my issue after reading through some of the horrendously complicated advice given as a so-called solution…

Guess what, Manjaro IS NOT mint or winblows. And there’s ENOUGH info why Manjaro or any ARCH-based is different.

[Sigh]

Ah yes. Many thnx for your unhelpful and obtuse comment.

I’m going to give this one last shot before deciding whether to call time on my using Manjaro.

I am trying to install Vmware Player. on Manjaro. There seem to be 2 basic ways of doing this, either through AUR, or using a script with the extension .bundle supplied by Vmware itself (for Linux), which I’ve used successfully to install Vmware on Linux Mint.

On installing the package from AUR it kinda works, but not properly, eg my VM won’t shutdown and I have to force it to power off. I also have to run a certain terminal command each time before I start the Vmware package otherwise I get a 'Vmon error ', and there doesn’t appear to be any explanation on how to fix either error.

If I try to install from the Vmware bundle, the installation seems to start ok, until I get this message:
Configuring…No rc…d style init script directories were given to the installer. You must manually add the necessary links to ensure that the vmware service at /etc/init.d/vmware is automatically started and stopped on Installing VMware Player 16.1.2. Such a file exists, and there’s 375 lines of script in there. But I’ve no idea what ‘links’ are missing from there. It then eventually says that Installation was successful.. But clearly it isn’t as no GUI opens at this point to enable me to continue the installation.

If anyone has successfully installed Vmware Player on Manjaro I would be grateful if they would take me through the process step-by-step as I’m out of ideas.

I really doubt VmWare provided a script for “Linux”.

A script that would work in complete unrelated distros such as Suse, Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu or Arch?

It’s more likely a .deb or a script destined to Debian or Ubuntu. Thus it would work on Mint.

If it works, inspect the code, try to understand it and see if there some Debian related commands (such as apt/apt-get) that would never work in Manjaro.

Vmware from the aur works perfectly fine for me, no problems force closing been using it for months. Best bet is too completely remove all files then install the aur version again. The vmon error is normally caused by not rebooting after installing vmware, you need to reboot after installation to load the kernel modules

Linux Mint is a supported platform by VMware for their virtual computing software.

And guess what - Arch based distribution are not …

Why is is that every disgruntled member which cannot make their favorite apps work threatens to leave Manjaro?

Actually - it is not a question if you want Manjaro - but if Manjaro want’s you - a minor rewrite of title of a FAQ on the archived forum.

What can you contribute - other than screaming VMware is a pain?

We know VMware on Manjaro can be a pain - but if you’d care to research - you would know what to do.

So seriously - if you want VMware to work OOB - then use a supported OS - and you find such OS by reading the relevant KB article on VMware

Also the following resources is at your disposal

Any further discussion on the subject are prone to disaster - therefore - closed.