VMware 16 on manjaro

Hello, I downloaded the VMware bundle for linux tryed to install it and it did not install, this is my terminal operations:

[user@user Downloads]$ sudo ./VMware-Workstation-Full-16.1.0-17198959.x86_64.bundle
[sudo] password for user: 
Extracting VMware Installer...done.
Rolling back VMware VMX 16.1.0
    Deconfiguring...
Uninstalling VMware Installer 3.0.0
    Deconfiguring...
[######################################################################] 
100%
Installation was unsuccessful.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

The problem is - Archlinux and Arch based distributions are unsupported by VMware.

To see which OS the VMware installer is built for follow this link to VMware.

Archlinux based distribtions relies on experts with VMware and kernel module compilation and one such expert is maintaining a build script on AUR.

Use the AUR at your own risk! No support will be provided by the Manjaro team for any issues that may arise relating to software installations from the AUR. When Manjaro is updated, AUR packages might stop working. This is not a Manjaro issue - Arch User Repository - Manjaro

DISCLAIMER: AUR packages are user produced content. Any use of the provided files is at your own risk. - https://aur.archlinux.org

Before using AUR the following articles is mandatory reading

This build script is your best chance and you can find it following this link to AUR.

As the build script uses dkms - remember to install the linuxXX-headers package matching your installed kernel(s)

I would suggest you to use KVM if possible or if you really need VMware you can install it using this tutorial
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/VMware

I installed VMware 16 from and it works just fine on Manjaro. After installation just reboot.

Been using vmware 16 for months on manjaro too. I just installed from Aur and then rebooted for the kernel modules

Okay so I installed it from your link, but when I run: sudo modprobe -a vmw_vmci vmmon it outputs: modprobe: WARNING: Module vmmon not found in directory /lib/modules/5.9.11-3-MANJARO

Moving to third party since you are not using AUR

Okay, so I installed it with:

pamac build vmware-workstation
 sudo modprobe -a vmw_vmci vmmon

and then tested a virtual machine on it and got a vmmon error, I used this post Could not open /dev/vmmon
and now it works.
Thanks for the help.

1 Like