Vivaldi-widevine package not installing

I was wondering if it would be possible to watch Amazon Prime Video or Netflix on the Vivaldi browser. It seems like it’s not available out-of-the-box and you need to install a plug-in. However, while searching for widevine in Octopi, I found the vivaldi-widevine package. However, whenever I try to install it, I get the following error

/usr/bin/makepkg: line 2148: warning: command substitution: ignored null byte in input
/usr/bin/makepkg: line 753: source: /tmp/yaourt-tmp-mjohanning/aur-vivaldi-widevine/./tmp.FPMoEJcaqE: cannot execute binary file
==> ERROR: Failed to source /tmp/yaourt-tmp-mjohanning/aur-vivaldi-widevine/./tmp.FPMoEJcaqE
Unable to read PKGBUILD

Anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Regards

Actially, you don’t need to install that package. At least I did not have to because it was included.
What you need is the vivaldi-ffmpeg-codecs package. It is available in the Herecura Repo together with the Vivaldi package. The repo is maintained by an Arch developer, which means he is to be trusted as you are using packages that he maintains anyway.

You can do so by adding

[herecura]
Server = https://repo.herecura.be/herecura/x86_64

to your /etc/pacman.conf

1 Like

I’ve added that to the pacman.conf file, however I can’t seem to be able to install it. It’s telling me that the database file for ‘herecura’ doesn’t exist… what am I doing wrong?

Oh … Did you do a sudo pacman -Syu before? You need to refresh your package database.

No, I didn’t, sorry. It worked now, however I am still not able to watch any DRM content. On amazon it tells me that a DRM component is still missing

strange.
In Vivaldi --> Settings --> Websites, I have a section “Plugins” and in there, I have 2 tickboxes for internal PDF Viewer and Widevine. Is that one checked at yours?

Yes, they’re both checked and I restarted my browser as well, but Amazon still tells me about having a missing DRM component

ok, found the reason.

Vivaldi uses /opt/vivaldi/libwidevinecdm.so - but it is actually a symlink to /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so
Never realized this because I also have Chrome installed but never use it.

You can either install chrome (it is also in the herecura repo) and not use it - or install it, copy the libwidevinecdm.so over to the vivaldi directory, replacing the symlink and remove chrome again.

1 Like

That’s pretty odd… but after installing Chrome, it actually does work! Thank you very much!

Forum kindly sponsored by