Vivaldi Browser removed from the Arch User Repository?

Hi there,

I am a huge fan of the Vivaldi browser. Today, I installed the Manjaro KDE OS on my brandnew laptop and sadly found out that the Vivaldi Browser is no longer part of the official Arch Repo (it has never been part of the official Manjaro repository). The only reference I found after a quick research is this: Google search for ‘vivaldi-does-not-exist-in-the-arch-linux-official-repo-pacman-but-it-does-exist-unofficial-arch-repo-aur’. (For some reason I am not allowed to include links in this topic?)

The package ‘vivaldi-snapshot’ can still be installed (shipping version 3.5.2088.7 whereas the latest stable version is 3.4.2066.94 at the moment of this writing).

The link above includes some hints on how to install vivaldi on non deb/rpm distributions but before I give that a try I wanted to know if there are any further options I maybe overlooked (snap/flatpack?).

It seems quite strange to me that such a popular browser is not directly available via the package manager. Dont get me wrong, I understand that this is not the fault of the Manjaro dev team but still its quit annoying at the moment.

Vivaldi is now part of Arch community repo. That is why it was removed from the Arch user repository.

It is already available in Manjaro unstable and testing branches. It will soon reach the stable branch.

4 Likes

Vivaldi was part of AUR, now was moved to official Community Repo so you don’t need to worry, installation now will be faster and safer :smiley:

1 Like

That is great news. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like